Bluesound Speaker Question

I can confirm about the wired connection. Wired vs wifi there is a difference.

This is quite probably a silly question but how do Bluesound devices get upgraded to the new version 233? the core and Pi have updated but the Bluesound does not show up.

Or am I relying on a Bluesound update ?

Or something completely different?

.sjb

That’s weird–my Node 2 showed up as it normally does.

My Pulse 2 just showed up. Always worth re booting the core.

No sign of it for me?

.sjb

You’ll never see it there: RoonReady devices are not updated through Roon. In Biuesound’s case, they have a firmware update system of their own.

As long as you see it in Settings > Audio, you’re golden.

2 Likes

right: my Sonos too do not show in there

Ok so after reading all this I am now tempted to try a Bluesound speaker. My poor bank account :slight_smile:

By the way, can you indeed disable / turn off those lights on the devices? There seems to be a blue led showing through the mesh at the front. I can imagine this becoming really distracting. Can it be turned off via the app?

On another note
 the power consumption of these devices is slightly concerning. They seem to go down to around 6W after a period of inactivity. This is actually about double the power consumption of Sonos speakers. Not a deal breaker but a slight concern. Can someone confirm if this is the case?

I have lived with sonos speakers for a long time but I am thinking of switching to Bluesound after all
 Just wandering how ‘living’ with blue sound compares to the sonos experience.

Cheers

Yes you can turn the lights off. You are right they get annoying fast if they are on all the time. Sorry not looked into the power consumption at idle.

1 Like

I don’t find the blue light a problem at all. It is subtle and smart. Yes, you can adjust the brightness although I never have.
On the power issue, If you hold down the pause button, they go into ‘Vacation Mode’ until you reverse this. You don’t get instant access though.

I was so impressed I bought a Pulse Mini for the kitchen.
You can link them easily via BluOS if you are not using a Roon source, i.e. TV

1 Like

I’ve tried both Sonos and BlueSound speakers and in my opinion BlueSound sounds much better, cleaner, more real.

Depending on the room size you should go with a Pulse 2 or Pulse mini

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I have a Pulse 2 Mini (Garage) and Pulse Flex
 (in addition to Node2, Powernode2).

And I like the Pulse Flex much better than the Mini. I’d almost rather have two stereo Flex’s than the Mini (at similar price). Neither are “main room” capable and, as others have stated, the quick buttons on the Flex cannot be undervalued.

1 Like

I’ve got a ‘big’ Pulse 2 in the bedroom. It is located in an unfavourable position (up 1.80m on a shelf), but it has a nicely balanced, ‘mature’ sound.

I wanted to dislike the Pulse because it’s an ugly mofo, but for me it checks all the right boxes:

• Great sound balance at the low end of the volume range (must be some DSP at play here)
  • All lights and LEDs and be turned off
  • Sleep timer in the Bluesound app
  • Amplifiers can be set to switch off automatically when not in use
  • Remote learning means I can use an old Apple TV remote from the bed for volume and track controls
  • Flawless RoonReady operation, even over WiFi with suboptimal strength
  • Only one chord (power) – we tuck it in the car easily when setting off for a holiday home
  • Nice headphone out for use on holiday

As much as I dislike its looks, I really like the Pulse 2. I’ve tried a few (Meridian F80, B&O M5, Naim Muso QB, B&W Zeppelin), but the Pulse trumps them all in usability and SQ in my use cases.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Pulse 2 is amazing. I angle mine up on some natty sorbothane feet, the jaunty angle helps the look a lot.
You forgot to mention the 6 year warranty

I’ll third that - Pulse 2 is high - near the ceiling - but still sounds good given the awkward position and doesn’t boom. Sonos that I had previously didn’t sound anywhere near as good. Ability to group with other RAAT endpoints is really useful.

1 Like

This. A big differentiator from the other systems I mentioned.

Hi. I’m new to Roon, have had it for a month, and happy with the product and how it works with my older Sonos set-up (Connect and Play 5). Core is installed on my new MacBook Pro and has been working fine. I just upgraded to Bluesound Node 2 and Pulse 2 yesterday and finished setting up the new system today. My problem is Roon doesn’t see the new Bluesound products but had no problem with Sonos yesterday. Firewall is off on the Mac, Node 2 is plugged directly into the router (as was the Sonos Connect), and all is on the same network. Otherwise, the Bluesound controller on the MacBook is functioning well with the Node and Pulse and I have music but no Roon. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

I’m currently using a RPi (Ropieee) with an allo.com Boss + Volt combo with a set of Dali Fazon SAT speakers.
I’m hesitating to buy an identical set for another room or a Bluesound Pulse 2.
The price for both options is about the same.
I expect bass to be better with the Pulse 2.
45 Hz - 20 kHz for the Pulse 2 vs 86 Hz - 25 kHz for the Fazon SATs.
Any opinions? Thanks. Wim

I would make sure you restart your router and see if it finds it then.

What is the BluOS firmware version on your players? (You can check by Player > Configure Player in the Bluesound Mac app – the version number is shown at the very bottom of the web page that opens).