Bluesound to Support Roon [Now Certified!]

On their forum two admins talk about it here:
bottom post https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=940&hilit=cast&sid=0fb4ed91257e59d4745e3b260743d9a9&start=10
and here top post:
https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=940&hilit=cast&sid=0fb4ed91257e59d4745e3b260743d9a9&start=20#wrap

It’s by no means an official statement on Google Cast support but it seems like they are working on it.

Thanks Martin - will watch this development with interest…

I follow blue sound forums and they stated that they will have roon support in a future update. So excited.

1 Like

I gave up and sold my Node. Too impatient. Really glad that Bluesound have seen the light though - I spent months on their forum banging on about Roon…

3 Likes

It’s fanstastic news that BlueSound gets Roon support. I was also begging for it over at the BS forum, and fortunately kept my Node2… :slight_smile:

[quote=Bluesound]12 October 2016
Bluesound will be the world’s first wireless high-resolution multi-room music system to act as a RoonReady® streaming endpoint.[/quote]

Happy days.

will BluOS support RAAT, or another protocol? wondering about mixing Bluesound endpoints with other types of Roon endpoints.

I think one of the devs stated that they would appear as Roon endpoints and could then be grouped with other Roon endpoints.

Yes, Daniel is right. It has been confirmed that it will be “RoonReady”. And RoonReady means group able with any other RoonReady devices (including the Core machine) regardless of manufacturer. Syncing/buffering and grouping will be handled by Roon, not Bluesound.

After seeing this announcement and seeing the feature set and price point of the Bluesound devices, I treated myself to a Node 2 as well as a Pulse Flex.

The Node 2 is hooked up to my Abacus powered speakers in the living room, the Pulse Flex brings some nice sounds to the kitchen.

Very happy with these devices as is. Once the Roon support is ready, this system be amazing for the price point.

I have pulse mini, Node2 and Powernode2.

To me the Powernode2 was/is the most impressive piece. The amp is very good for anywhere but a primary listening room and the DAC is solid. After trying it out I decided to start using the DAC on the Node2 (where previously I has using my Peachtree Nova DAC and hadn’t even considered using the Node2’s). Pretty solid hardware which has kept me hanging on waiting for RoonReady integration despite its subpar BluOS app.

So, a question that relates to the Bluesound vault. Will it be possible in a setup with Roon and Bluesound for Roon to have the vault’s music storage folders as one of its watched folders?

and a further question, if so… My setup will be:
Roon running on the i5 sonic transportor which will be attached to my NAS and my router and beaming wirelessly to the Bluesound vault.
The vault will be attached to my nad51 Dac, and from there to the power amp.

Now, if I’m playing a file that is in the vault using Roon, is Roon just sending it from the vault to the dac, or will it be pulled from the vault to Roon and then sent from Roon back to the vault-as-Roon endpoint, thus doing an extra lap around the circuit?

Too late for me… I tried on their forums but they ignored all conversations. Spent my money elsewhere. They are a company that does not care about their customers until they see the big profit potential. I get that, but there are other companies out there that better balance the need for customer closeness and profit.

Anthony,…

Good questions. I’m guessing it is more a question for Bluesound than Roon though.

My guess: It depends on whether the Vault will be a Roon Server or a RoonReady endpoint.

If the Vault is but a RoonReady endpoint, then the Core Roon device (your computer) is still doing all of the work and must be able to see the music files on the vault as though it were a NAS. (I don’t have a Vault, can you navigate to the files from your computer without using Bluesound? If not, Bluesound will need to open up the security protocol so that Roon can see them). Thus File on Vault --> Read by Roon Core --> RAAT encoding --> RoonReady Endpoints… so in your case that would mean a loop.

On the other hand, if Bluesound allows the Vault (and the Vault has the processing power) to be a RoonServer… i.e. to BE the Core system, then you’d be even more in luck, as the Vault would be the device sending RAAT to other RoonReady devices in the home.

Hopefully the Roon guys can provide their $0.02

1 Like

It would be fantastic if Vault or Vault2 could work as a Roon Core/Server. Roon Core and/or Server typically can play music stored on a local disc or stream from Tidal, Radio Stations, etc.

It won’t. Even the Vault 2 is only carrying an ARM Cortex-9 CPU, lacking the oomph to run RoonServer with a collection of any reasonable size.

Any news on this topic? As soon as its official i´m buying a Node 2.

Not official. should say working.

The node2 and powernode2 are excellent. I have both.