Bluesound to Support Roon [Now Certified!]

Had Bluesound node first version. Sold about a month ago. Their latest software had new look and features. Found buyer same day and Sold.

Would be nice but could work as end point /RoonBridge and not Server. Am I wrong?

Btw my reason to sell Node is to shift to Roon ( future NUC )

Sonos, Bluesound and others are unlikely to ever support Roon as they are basically direct competitors focussing on user experience, multiroom and collecting musicservices.

Yes! But in case they open for expansion, then work with Roon for one single file download (basically RoonBridge + some wrapper) and those devices can become nice end point. They have enough muscle to become RoonBridge. Due respects to all S/W engineers at BLUESOUND AND other manufacturers.

I doubt Bluesound will ever support Roon - there support literally stonewalls the questions on it. I ended up not going with them as a solution as they are as bad as Sonos when it comes acknowledging customers or potential customers.

1 Like

I contacted Bluesound regarding Roon compatibility and was told Bluesound was not compatible - they would pass on my comments, but weren’t at liberty to say what interoperability projects were being worked on. It would be a nice option, but I think several other companies (and maybe even Bluesound) will have compatible products released soon. The next six months should bring many new choices.

1 Like

These comments are surprising (and would be disappointing) to me.

According to AndrewH in the Bluesound forum, “we had a good meeting with the Roon folks in Munich at the High End Show. Discussions continue.” https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2882&p=11385&hilit=roon&sid=8e35afd5403f39db8331cde32d4034f1#p11385

I remain optimistic. To me it is a matter of Bluesound figuring out how to allow Roon into their proprietary ecosystem without damaging their business model (Roon --> Bluesound/Sonos/etc is more obviously aligned for Roon). Obviously Bluesound wants to sell hardware and a software-based multiroom system that allows endpoints from multiple manufacturers would be a big concern. Not to mention technical issues of Bluesound vs RAAT or both on the network.

If it were me… and I put this out with the oddest of hopes that perhaps it helps Bluesound relieve their concerns, I would:

• Not allow bluesound player to be grouped with any others… I believe this is native to Roon… in any case it would still provide strong compulsion to buy more Bluesound endpoints.
  • Focus on the qualities of the hardware… this is still a MAJOR selling proposition for bluesound, especially at the price point
  • Bluesound also has NAD as a higher-end sister/parent brand that plays in the Bluesound ecosystem. I would NOT ALLOW Roon on any Bluesound player unless the user had purchased one of my higher-end NAD players as a “master” Roon endpoint. This would preserve the NAD name as higher quality option that enables the higher quality (Roon) user experience. Buy one NAD as the master and all of your lower priced Bluesound devices become Roon endpoints.

NAD previously had a self-branded version of the BluOS, that is no longer the case… so hopefully they are already thinking this way?

I should also add… that Bluesound’s biggest weakness to their current business model is displeasure with their native OS/app. Moving to Roon is as much a defensive move as it is an offensive one.

1 Like

Hey Adam, I couldn’t agree with you more. Bluesound are currently losing existing customers and putting off potential new ones with their poorly though out user interface. The form factor, price, hardware quality, sound (and i’m going to say it at the risk of getting ridiculed, MQA support) are all first rate, but the app…ouch ! I agree that the business model is built around the app and software development costs to date would have to be swallowed, but if they could lock down the ecosystem in the way you have suggested, they would have a real niche in the market as a Roon endpoint. I am in the situation where I currently have a 1st gen node which looks and sounds great but largely sits unused while I stream to a Pi3 + DAC with Roonbridge because the Roon interface is what I have come to crave. Its madness - if there is no desire to combine these products in the short term I will abandon Bluesound, as will a lot of their customer base. It just doesn’t serve the hardware well. Such a shame

In the meantime it looks like both Roon and Bluesound is working on Google Cast, so you would at least be able to use the speakers with Roon even if its not with RAAT.

Interesting. What leads you to believe that Bluesound are working on Google cast ?

That’s completely true for me. I was intending to ditch my Sooloos system in favor of Bluesound until I discovered Roon. I have a new house that is wired up with in wall speakers waiting to be connected to Node 2s but I’ve held off buying because I’m not interested in ever using the BS interface. Last month, I gave up and bought 6 Squeezebox Touch on ebay. Its kind of nuts that an obsolete discontinued product is more suitable than such a beautiful design as the Node. So yes, Roon is madness.

On their forum two admins talk about it here:
bottom post https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=940&hilit=cast&sid=0fb4ed91257e59d4745e3b260743d9a9&start=10
and here top post:
https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=940&hilit=cast&sid=0fb4ed91257e59d4745e3b260743d9a9&start=20#wrap

It’s by no means an official statement on Google Cast support but it seems like they are working on it.

Thanks Martin - will watch this development with interest…

I follow blue sound forums and they stated that they will have roon support in a future update. So excited.

1 Like

I gave up and sold my Node. Too impatient. Really glad that Bluesound have seen the light though - I spent months on their forum banging on about Roon…

3 Likes

It’s fanstastic news that BlueSound gets Roon support. I was also begging for it over at the BS forum, and fortunately kept my Node2… :slight_smile:

[quote=Bluesound]12 October 2016
Bluesound will be the world’s first wireless high-resolution multi-room music system to act as a RoonReady® streaming endpoint.[/quote]

Happy days.

will BluOS support RAAT, or another protocol? wondering about mixing Bluesound endpoints with other types of Roon endpoints.

I think one of the devs stated that they would appear as Roon endpoints and could then be grouped with other Roon endpoints.

Yes, Daniel is right. It has been confirmed that it will be “RoonReady”. And RoonReady means group able with any other RoonReady devices (including the Core machine) regardless of manufacturer. Syncing/buffering and grouping will be handled by Roon, not Bluesound.