BluOS 3.8.17 firmware update

New firmware update released, ie. 3.8.17.

Updated my M10 - same issues present as in previous firmware versions playing hi-res audio through Roon, ie. Tidal MQA.

Therefor, I will continue playing Roon through Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (RopieeeXL) -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital -> NAD M10 (trouble free).

Hyperlink to release note:

1 Like

Thanks for the post

So odd. My M10 functions perfectly after 3.8.17 firmware update.

OK … let us be a bit more specific.

Roon ROCK (version 1.7 - build 571) is on Intel NUC8i3BEH / 8GB / 500 GB SSD and is running stable without any known issues.

Scenario #1:

ROCK / NUC -> ethernet -> Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (RopieeeXL) -> USB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital -> RCA -> NAD M10 (analog input #1) -> speakers

• ethernet (Gigabit) is connected to glass fibre back bone - 700,0 Mb/s up- and download

• playing Tidal MQA 352,8 kHz

• enable MQA core decoder - set to “yes”

• MQA capabiltites set to “decoder and renderer”

• Dirac Live filter switched “on”

• system is running stable - no issues - also valid for MQA files with different sample rates, for example 44,1 kHz

Scenario 2:

ROCK / NUC -> ethernet -> NAD M10 -> speakers

• ethernet (Gigabit) is connected to glass fibre back bone - 700,0 Mb/s up- and download

• playing Tidal MQA 352,8 kHz

• enable MQA core decoder - set to “yes”

• MQA capabilities set to “decoder and renderer”

• Dirac Live filter switched “on” but also switched “off”

• not stable - after some time - not consistent - sound disappears and M10 is not responding (freezes) and shows below message - also valid for MQA files with different sample rates, for example 44,1 kHz

• not stable - after some time - not consistent - NAD M10 just switches off and reboots - occurs only when playing MQA files

NAD M10 is now on firmware version 3.8.17 - previous firmware versions as far back as 3.6.15 (firmware when Roon and Tidal subscriptions started on January 21, 2020) non stable MQA playback direct through M10 was always an issue.

Due to having a Pro-Ject setup for streaming Tidal through Roon to my headphones I was able to connect this setup to analog input of NAD M10 and still enjoy Tidal MQA through my speakers.

Filing complaint through local NAD representative as well as contacting NAD directly didn’t solve anything, even stronger it seems they do not care at all.

Communication is non / zero … only fingerpointing at Roon.

Reasons why I decided to buy a NAD M10:

• HDMI connection

• small footprint and minimalistic appearance

• Dirac Live

• Roon

Roon playing Tidal MQA directly to NAD M10 is a total disappointment.

Considering to replace NAD M10 with Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Amp+.

NAD M10 will be promoted to a presse papier, aka paper weight.

1 Like

You sure this is the right setting? Other BluOS devices are"Renderer only" and afaik this works fine. (on my Vaults)

They should work on both settings really. But you are right, probably the most robust method is to let Roon do the first unfold and any volume levelling/DSP requirements before handing off to BlueOS.

1 Like

I think that for Roon to be able to play back MQA material they needed to be set to Renderer, at least earlier? But, yes, they are able to do the full unfold+rendering on their own.

Do think so … if Roon is switched off and when playing Tidal masters (MQA) through native BluOS app it works fine.

Ergo, all MQA unfold has been taken care of by NAD M10.

Nevertheless I do want Roon integration managing my music collection on NAS together with complementary streaming services as Qobuz and Tidal.

Setting MQA capabilities to “renderer only”, does work but unit is still not stable, ie. NAD M10 ends up frozen or does reboot (all possible combinations have been tested with this new firmware version as well as previous ones in the past).

If playing Roon through NAD M10 I do experience on a daily basis 2 to 3 times a frozen unit as well as similar amount of non scheduled rebooting.

NAD M10 marriage with Roon and together with streaming services, NAS stored music, Dirac Live is an unhappy one.

When buying M10, NAD was adverising this particalar machine being able to fully integrate with Roon.

As per today this particular claim has been removed from all advertisements, datasheets, manuals, etc.

This gives me the impression M10 will never work flawlessly together with Roon - NAD sold me an electronic paper weight.

As written above above I am seriously considering to upgrade to a Mytek setup and especially Brooklyn Bridge which has hardware MQA decoder onboard.

Software / firmware on M10 is not up to the initial promises made.

I notice that the M10 is not listed on the NAD page of Roon Labs either…

Sorry to hear that. I was actually eyeing the M10 as a secondary zone… But at the same time, i don’t see why they should hve issues making it work with Roon? I mean the Blusound units i have had have all been 100% stable, whether being controlled by Roon or the BluOS app.

Sick and tired of all products being sold with “will be compatible”-promises to this and that. Customers should not have to beta test products…

True, but NAD created a perception that M10 would be Roon Ready or Roon Tested. And yes, it works - but not stable so they made a false claim.

Fully agree …

I stream almost exclusively via Tidal and Qobuz using an NAD M10, NAD 658 and NAD 758v3. They all work well MOST of the time, with the 758 being the most reliable. My experience is consistent with others regarding MQA and high-res files - when there is a transition to or from those formats problems are more likely to surface. Usually hitting play again solves the issues in my experience - not a big deal.

While I understand people wanting these pieces to be formally Roon Ready - they are not at present and may never be. That being said here are a few things to consider:

1. These units are getting more reliable over time.
  2. There are many users in this forum and other related forums having very positive experiences with these units.
  3. There is little real competition for these units given the combination of features - with Dirac Live being fat and away the most significant.
  4. There are plenty of complaints about other units in this forum that ARE Roon Ready - but again with most units - most people are happy. They just don’t post to forums as often because they don’t have issues or need help.

Bottom line - Roon Ready status means something - but should not be the single factor that causes users to buy or not buy gear. It is just more complex than that. Are these pieces perfect? - no. But can they deliver excellent sound quality and ease of use MOST of the time? - yes.

And most stable setting for MQA in my experience seems to be decoder and renderer.

Sorry for the late reply … full MQA unfold by M10 is also in my perception “most” stable, however according to my humble opinion far from stable enough.

Too often I do end up with a frozen piece of equipment and can’t say that it is improving over time, eg. new firmware versions.

Nosing around, aka listening to other equipment I am slowly moving towards saying goodbye to NAD and opt for different equipment.

As we speak I do have two options thinking about, eg. Mytek Brooklyn Bridge or Auralic Altair G1.

Other question to answer is which amplifier to buy and keep using Q Aucoustics Concept 300 speakers or do we go for active speakers?

Luxury problems …

I have the NAD C-388 and just installed the BluOS module so far so good as the player shows up in ROON Zone automatically if you have them all connected in the same Wi-Fi network.However the BluOS player shows up as well and “I cannot connect” (says in Roon when I Click to connect) I use Android Phone and I-Pad for BluOS controller that works fine.Just send a Email to NAD to find out what happend that I cannot connect.So far they always responded but it takes a bit longer because of the corona virus. As BlueOS is certified by Roon I hope it is only a minore problem. For my office I use a Mojo DAC and Audio engine A2+ and a Subwoofer that works great considering the size of the speaker.