(Bob) Dylan sells out

I guess a song catalog is just another fungible good…

Unique voice? Yes! Terrible voice? I think his record sales and popularity dispute that label.

1 Like

You have to consider the rights from all the covers of his music. That should amount to a lot in perpetuity.

I thought the whole idea of selling out was over. As a member of Gen X I remember how passionate my cohort was about even the appearance of having “sold out” and how tedious all that was. What should he have done with his catalog?

As an aside, Rough and Rowdy Ways (his latest) is a legitimately great album. Not just for his age, or for this period or compared to his last one. My favourite since Time Out of Mind.

Genius! Well done, mate!

Well, popularity does not necessarily equate quality - otherwise very few people would be using Windows.

As for his voice being unique, I fully agree: it’s “uniquely” bad.

Even in his youth, Dylan’s voice was an acquired taste. Can’t imagine what it’s like now.

Say what you like about the voice – consider Billie Holiday – but there is a case to be made that Dylan is the most important and influential music artist of the last 65 years or so.

1 Like

Well, Dylan is more influential than just about any artist you can name save the Beatles. The overall quality of his work is exceeded by no one. He is the arguably the greatest lyricist of all time. Is his voice the best technically? Of course not. But Dylan is someone I would rather listen to than Freddie Mercury or John Lennon. Why? Because the totality of his performances are much more than the sum of it parts. The way he tells the story is better than anyone. His phrasing is incredible. When I listen to Dylan’s music, I come away feeling more fulfilled than with any other artist. I have come to love the uniqueness of his voice and overall presentation. I am not alone…

6 Likes

I am a lifelong Beatles fan, going back to before they had a US release. No question they were the top of the heap. But Dylan hit the charts in the mid '60s, and he is still producing good stuff decades later. The Beatles had their day – and a great day it was – but they flamed out early. None of the fab four’s solo careers has come close to the length and depth of Dylan’s. I think Bob is deciding to make decisions about his legacy while he is alive, not waiting for his heirs to sell it off piecemeal. The Beatles may be the most influential group, but Bob is the most influential individual artist. Even John was influenced big time by Bob, and he said as much. Just my opinion of course. Someone else may prefer Freddie Mercury, :grinning:.

4 Likes

this is exactly the first thing that crossed my mind when hearing about the sale. Dylan has always wanted to be in control of his legacy - he’s getting old, and this is consistent with the idea that he would be the one to decide on the future of music.

speaking to my wife who is a cpa, another piece may be, she mentioned there has been several folks selling their rights this year, as there is a belief with the new administration there are pending changes to the capital gains for this particular type of sale - Dylan is one of the greatest musicians of our generation, but he also always has understood the business side - it might of just made sense to do it now? Dylan being Dylan, we’ll probably never know… lol

3 Likes

I used to detest Dylan. I used to think that my friends who loved hime had no taste in music!!! As you know I have brain damage from childhood trauma that really hit home in 2014 when I had a severe trauma and now can’t walk. Anyway, from May 2014 to sept 7th 2019, I was someone else.

When I cam back I came back with a ;liking for the male voice, something I previously did not have.

I have been sorting thru my library today as at some point when I was out of it, I recorded a number of CDs in MP3. I really must have been out of it.

The point being I now own 49 Dylan albums. I have no recollection of buying them.

I do like him now.

2 Likes

That is such a good insight

1 Like