Bookmark folders

I use bookmarks for a wide variety of track/composer/album/random stuff collections.

It would be great to have folders or some other non-structured organization method to (for example) separate track book marks from album bookmarks, or separate them by genres or random tags i’ve created to group objects.

I’d like to have this feature too. Over time, the number of my bookmarks has grown to a level that there needs to be some type of organization - a folder structure would be great. I currently use bookmarks to build lists of my favorite music for specific artists, genres, and composers.

Regards,
Music Mac

I’ll bump this one, as this is something I’d find very useful, but as the original request was posted in 2015 I’m not going to hold my breath :slight_smile:

Bumping. My bookmarks are growing out of hand - would be great to be able to create folders for related bookmarks in order to better organise things.

See, the problem with this request is the word ‘folders’. The word ‘folder’ carries a lot of baggage for Roon.

Need to think of another word for what you want.:wink:

How about ‘sets’?

1 Like

Yes, or submenu / group?

Why this hesitation against this.

Same with…cough…:

Bumping this as well … would like to be able to organize my bookmarks by folder, similar to using folders in web browsers … quickly access large groups of albums subdivided - it would help navigate my large and steadily expanding library of 13000 plus albums … John

What you want is some hierarchical way to organize playlists and bookmarks so they are more manageable than a flat list.

This is a no brainer and I am surprised this does not already exists. But I am also surprised that smart playlists like what iTunes offered are not already present.

I think there have been a few other threads where this has been mentioned so I’ll add my +1 to this one as well.

The Roonies have stated they are not really playlist users…

I only used iTunes for a few months but in that short time found dynamic/smart playlists to be very useful.

I am not a playlist person anymore. I used to be when I used iTunes. When I switched to Roon and really got back into listening to music on a quality 2 channel system, I became someone who listens to full albums instead of single tracks or playlists.

Listening to full albums fundamentally changed how I looked at music. I stopped being a person that listened to hit songs and became a person that appreciated the art that went into making albums. This opened me up to many more artists than I would have listened to when I listened to popular songs.

So, I really don’t care about playlists…but I know many people do…and it shouldn’t be that hard to have great tools to build playlists.

I still don’t understand why better naming & using filter is not enough… it’s so fast and easy to chop up multiple ways

I presume you mean Focus and saving it as a Bookmark?

Yeah, it works…it’s just not as easy to use as iTunes query builder interface…

Maybe you guys can put together a tutorial on how to do this “fast and easy to chop up multiple ways” method you of which you speak to create smart playlists. Because it hard enough that many don’t bother even trying.

BTW, if bookmark groups :upside_down_face: should get considered for implementation it would be nice if this request --> Bookmarks: save (customized) positions globally (or per profile) would be taken into account at the same time. It feels clumsy enough to sort bookmarks, having to do it on every remote anew isn’t too much fun.

2 Likes

Hello. I would also like to be offered some manner in which to folder bookmarks. I use an ever-growing set of randomized bookmarks for listening to specific types of music. Even allowing a smaller font for the bookmarks would be a reasonable step that would minimize endless scrolling.

This has been asked for before, but I’ll happily +1 it again. I have quite a few bookmarks and would really like to be able to organise them in some way.

I use tags, and since you can add tags to tags, I effectively am able to have folder-ed bookmarks.

For example, I have a tag called ‘Top Classical’ bookmarked; that tag contains tags for Top Composers, Top Conductors, Top Ensembles, Top Pianists, etc. In this example, everything is grouped/browsed by Artist (except composer).

In another example, I have a ‘Rock/Pop Favorites’ tag with about 25 of my favorite artists. Under that I have, for example, a ‘Beatles’ tag which contains tags for the group and individual members’ artist pages, stereo albums, mono albums, US albums, and special/anniversary releases.

In this arrangement, I have a relatively small number of ‘top level’ tags which lead, with another click or two, deep into those parts of my library which I go to frequently. My Roon experience is split about 50/50 between browsing this way and spending time on the Overview page for hearing recent additions and recommended (new) music.

I’ve found tags to be one of the most versatile tools in Roon, even better than Focus (although you can use Focus to narrow tags once you’ve established a good infrastructure).

+1 for subfolders for tags

@Dajokr - How do you add tags to tags? I have a ‘classical’ tag for all of my classical albums. I then have a series of tags representing subfolders, for genres like 20th century, Romantic, Baroque, and then I have a third level folder splitting each of these into composers. But the only way I have been able to do this is to create a tag for ‘classical’ then a tag for each genre then a tag for each composer which yields over 100 tags, which is impossible to navigate. How can I use your tags within tags?

+1 for folders for bookmarks, or possibly even better: the ability to somehow TAG a bookmarked Focus view?

The limitation with TAGs is you can’t save any ‘smart’/dynamic aspects of a filter for quickly shuffling a set of tracks. For example, if I regularly like to listen to Blues music released after 2001, but not hear any tracks I’ve played in the last 3 months, the only way to do this currently is to create a ‘focus’ and bookmark it. Once you’ve set up a few of these, they quickly become unmanageable. Its the equivalent of storing bookmarks in a web browser. If you can’t sort them by folders, they quickly become unmanageable.

If you could apply a TAG to a focused view, you could then do something clever like @Dajokr described, which would be a powerful way of clicking through ‘tags’ to get to a pre-configured focus and thus get a dynamic view of tracks to shuffle. That would be awesome!