Boolean search logic? (AND between Tags) [Implemented in Roon 1.8]

Sorry Slim, my post above wasn’t a response to your post, just a general post in the thread. I think what you are calling blue tags are genres?

Aha, the fog clears. That would explain why I can’t reference both at once. Pity, they both use the tag icon.

Thanks

I think the logic with a Genre and a Tag is “AND” and thus you are not getting your “OR.” What you might do, which goes a little deeper than maybe what you want, would be to look at Genre “Symphony” and apply your “Symphony” Tag to all of them. Then when you bring up works with that Tag, you will see both. But that’s really just because it’s in your Tag now.

But I would love for some folks to play with my proposed workaround and see if it has legs. Of course, this will in a sense “pollute” your tag library since whenever Roon actually implements reasonable Tag logic, you won’t need to do “AND NOT NOT.” But since we don’t know if the Roon team ever plans to implement this, or when it might be implemented, maybe this is the best we can do for a while.

Yeah, sorry to be a PITA, but are genres the result of the rip, such that I could use a tagging program to embed new genres, or are they derived from some database?

Regards

I think both. You can set Roon to respect your genres that come from the rip or to use their genres, or both. If you set to both, that may also just resolve your issue?

1 Like

@James_I I was happily following your logic until the last bit. Apologies if I misunderstood you but I think your last step is wrong.

It’s been many years since I did Boolean logic, but the crucial equation is
(A and B) is equivalent to not((not A) or (not B))

So an extra tag of ((not_80s) or (not_chicago))
Is needed so you can invert it.

Jeez, what a lot of work.

Brian

Yes, you are right, if I wanted to have it as a single tag that’s what I would do. But my system works if you focus on one tag and then focus on minus the other tag.

No argument with that. That’s why I would love Roon to put in some Boolean logic capabilities with Tags and Focus other than a single default. That said, I’d settle for being even just one alternative like Tag AND Tag to go along with Tag OR Tag.

Ha! You’re right. I hadn’t realised that adding an inverted tag does indeed use and logic rather than the usual or.

Illogical?

I don’t think so. I think using OR logic with a minus Tag would be counter-intuitive. It is a lot of work…I’ve been playing around with it to stratify my albums to see if I want to cross section it with genres or my mood tags. It could be pretty powerful, though.

I used to be a mathematician, it’s illogical to me.

Let’s not worry about it,

Agree that Roon could do better.

1 Like

This and a more advanced way for handling labels is without doubt what i miss the most in Roon.

The AND operater would be useful for…

(1) filtering on the top genres
If i do a search “Electronic” OR “Rock” that includes almost every album in my library. But “Electronic” AND “Rock” - that would only give me albums that are some sort of mix between the two genres. Another example is the Avant-Garde genre. A combination of albums with both Avant-Garde AND Classical would make a quite useful filter. Avant-Garde OR Classical however - then i also get all the “classical” classical albums.

(2) creating more focused shuffles

(3) narrowing down searches on metadata
For example - when i’m looking for an album, i always remember the sound (hence also some of the genres) and usually things like the album cover, some of the lyrics, approx what year i bought the CD, etc. But often not the name of the artist and album. With an AND operator between genres i could easily narrow down what i’m looking for within seconds. But with the OR operator, i am only widening the search.

2 Likes

+1 from me, maybe as AND/OR feature like present +/- in focus tags

I also think AND in tags and OR in Focus are very important features to have, and pretty basic. I am still very surprised the tags do not works with AND.

Hah! Very pertinent this should be revived.

Just now, for the umpteenth time, I’m reinventing my Roon catalogue, and re-doing all my tags. And for the umpteenth time, I’m wishing to have AND for combining tags. Would be soooo nice to be able to combine bespoke Roon genre tags. Easily assigned and easily combined. Eg A few global tags like Rock, Country, Jazz, Folk, Classical, and then sub-tags like Alternative, Contemporary, Neo, Progressive, Classic, Punk, Psychedelic, Instrumental, Vocal, etc And the combination possibilities are huge to make sub-genres like Alt-Folk, Pychedelic Contemporary Rock, Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Contemporary Classical, Punk Jazz, and so on.

Pah… I’m just dreaming. Time to go back to sleep for a few more months…

Agreed - note the idea was floated 2.5 years ago and tag users realized that tags were meh functionally since at least the beginning of this year (and comments had been made before then).

I realize Boolean logic really has to work, and the performance of the Roon database is very slow when combining any tag logic. This may be the reason why they haven’t bothered implementing logic: you could initiate a combined tag query and go make dinner and come back and it might still be processing.

But rather than ignore the backwater part of Roon, I’d like to see them fix it. Right now it’s quite half done, at best.

Love Roon. Parts just simply seem to be ignored by the developers. Maybe the marketing material ought to reflect its current state, not what potential it represents.

3 Likes

More than anything James, I just keep kicking myself for getting excited again and wasting my time writing long, detailed posts about what I’d love to see. I seem to fall back into the trap every time.

The problem is that when something is developed it’s all a bit half arsed but really simple to improve. Like the “new” way of seeing the different versions with the folder path shown, but NO link to open the path, lol. How easy could that have been to implement? The code’s already in use elsewhere for crying out loud.

And where did that display thing come from (the last dev); I mean it was pretty left-field imho. Were people clamouring for the ability to display roon on another PC or a telly via Chromecast? Great to see an actual development in the UX, though.

Soooo much to do, and so little time left (our lives). :slight_smile:

I think it just came about as a by-product of getting Chromecast support going. And I’m glad that they did release it; as it is great for parties.

But, I agree with the OP and have stated as such before; AND would be great.

Aha. Ok thanks Daniel. Apologies for being a negative nelly :slight_smile: … still lovin roon for what it does :grin:

I do like that display as a bit of added fun. It would be great to have the issues with that worked out as well, but I wasn’t thinking that was a huge effort for the team. That said, if that arose out of efforts for chromcast support, the general position some of us users have taken that we’d like to see more UI work as a priority over device integration, still stands and I am reiterating that.

2 Likes