Bose SoundTouch 10 Problems

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac 27” 2017

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

My iMac connects to EE Hub via wifi. Bose speaker connected to same network via wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bose SoundTouch 10 and iPad/iPhone Roon control points

Description Of Issue

Roon no longer plays to my Bose speaker - it did until maybe about a month ago or so. It is enabled in Roon settings and used to play but recently the track looks like it’s about to play and shows the pause symbol but quickly changes to the play symbol and stops. My Bose speaker firmware is up to date and I can airplay to it from other apps on my iPad/iPhone. I have rebooted the Bose a few times but no difference.

Hello @Sam_King, do you have any other airplay zones exhibiting this issue or just the Bose SoundTouch?

Oh now, I’ll need to try that. Should have thought to find that out before posting. I hardly ever use AirPlay - really just don’t like using for various reasons - only with this Bose speaker as it’s the only wireless option other than Bluetooth. I shall find something to try that out and get back. I do strongly suspect the Bose speaker - worst audio gadget I ever bought and wish I never had. It is SO unreliable and it’s own app regularly refuses to find it!

Hello @Sam_King, sounds like a plan! Please let me know how it goes.

Hi @nuwriy. Ok I’ve tried airplay to my Apple TV and it works fine. So it’s just the Bose Speaker. At first it didn’t work with Roon and then, maybe after some update at some point it worked, and now not working any more. Nothing has substantially changed in my set up. Maybe a Bose speaker update broke it (would not be surprised) but I just wondered if there were any known issues.

Hello @Sam_King, another good test for this issue would be having Roon output to your phone and using your phone’s airplay protocols to output to the Bose speaker. Let me know the results!

Hi @nuwriy. So I tried that and yes it did play from Roon to the Bose speaker with Roon end point set to the iPhone and the iPhone connected via Airplay to the Bose speaker. So it seems to be just when Roon points to the Bose directly it is not working.

Hi @Sam_King, can you test this with your firewall disabled and let me know if you get a better result? Let’s see if this could be related to firewall on the mac. Thanks!

Hi @nuwriy. Unless it is now enabled by default, I have not enabled the Mac firewall. I’ll check though.

1 Like

Oops sorry forgot I hadn’t replied. As I thought the Mac firewall is not enabled so that is not the cause. It’s very odd. It is recognised and enabled as an end point and it shows up everytime as a selectable zone to play to. And it looks like it’s about to start playing and then a second later - nothing and the pause symbol changes to play (ie stopped) and will not change from then on.

I have made one change to my set up since I logged this problem - my Mac now connects to the router via Ethernet so even more stable.

Hi @nuwriy. Any progress on this? There was an update applied to the Bose speaker yesterday and I was hoping it might have solved the problem but it hasn’t. The work around to play Roon to my iPhone and then the iPhone via airplay to the speaker works but is a bit clumsy having to set that up every time and not quite the ‘pick a zone and play ethos’. Also it ties up my phone a bit more than I want.

Hello @Sam_King, my apologies for the delay here. Would you be able to reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp (your local time) and the track name you tried to play so I can enable diagnostics for your account and create a report for our team? Thanks!

Thanks @nuwriy. Ok at exactly 9pm tonight I attempted to play a track called “Lacrymosa”, the first movement of Britten’s Sinfonia da Requiem. I pressed play several times so that will probably show up. Hope that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.