Box sets - A nightmare - what's the best way?

@Tuong, thanks for your detailed list. I might use that for one or the other box-set. But I am scared of the work this means.

But I see your point, like that you dont have to rely on Roon to do what ever it does and you can follow your own logic.

@Mike_O_Neill found the error. somehow not all was imported a wrongfully attributed. Now it’s correctly recognised and I can use Focus! Why it was wrongly imported I have no idea.

I am importing all discs of a boxset individually as single discs but name the boxset in the VERSION tag and the ROONALBUMTAG. So, e.g. George Szell - The Complete Columbia Album Collection (106 CDs):

ROONALBUMTAG: George Szell - The Complete Columbia Album Collection
VERSION: Szell - Complete Columbia x (x stands for each disc number)

Then I import disc by disc from 1-106 and get this nice result:

But I would like a better integration of box sets within Roon. For sure!

1 Like

@Enno14 I like that idea very much. Gives a view of what’s inside. Especially for box-sets that have compositions by several different composers. I will try that for sure with one smaller box to see how this works.

There are many…many threads about box sets. The “best way” is for Roon to implement a feature where box sets are handled sensibly.

5 Likes

The Decca Brendel is the Philips Brendel

1 Like

It was originally released as individual CD’s on Philips but all references to the complete set show it as Decca . Whether this is a UK - US difference I am not sure so it seems you are both right.

Philips and Decca are now Universal anyway. If you checkout his discography in Tidal there ae a number released on Decca eg Mozart Sonatas ODD as he was definitely Philips at that time.

Brendel as far as a I know recorded for Vox/Vanguard then Phillips , but some labels like Denon seem to have got in on the act of late

@ extracampine
I absolutely agree, and I read many of them. But since I did not really found any really convincing answer I thought I ask again, may be I had not found the perfect answer yet. Looks like there is still no perfect answer.

What I found out with all the answers here is that probably with the >Focus selection I can find what I am looking for the easiest way. Also searching using the genres function seems a way that works. It really depends what Box-sets are about. Like Beethoven symphonies, that’s easy. Or All of Tchaikovsky recordings by Karajan for example. Were it gets more difficult is Glen Gould all recordings, so you have various Composers, various Orchestras etc. I guess Roon will have to eventually do something about this. Until then we will have to help ourselves. Now I just need to find a way how to “look” at my albums in a sensible manner. Now for my taste it’s a total mess, but that’s an entirely different issue. It’s probably easier if you only listen to one. particular type of music. :wink:

But thanks to all that helped, I learnt a lot.

I appreciate all the efforts around this problem, but it is really astounding that Roon has done nothing to try to fix this. I have very little use for Roon ARC, but have a big need regarding box sets. This has been a problem since inception, yet there has been little response from Roon on a fix for this.

Box Sets - In my opinion, more complicated than one single rule.
I use my own algorithm for determining how they are treated, therefore my settings are always “Prefer file” for title, album artist, and “Prefer Roon” for manufacturing and marketing details (release dates etc)

To generalise, box sets are either necessary (the composition does not fit on one disc), or a marketing tool.

The content of the discs determines how box sets are treated, with descending preference by composer, composition, performer.

Classical:
Single work (eg an opera) - as a box set, under composer / tile of work
Small collection of a composer’s work (eg symphonies) - as a box set, under composer / collective title of works
Large collection of a composer’s work (eg Bach Cantatas) - split into separate discs under composer / composition
Small collection of performances by a performer (eg Pavarotti) or publisher - as a box set by performer (‘artist’) under performer / album title
Large collection of performances by a performer or publisher (eg Mercury Living Presence) - as separate discs under publisher / contents

Non-classical:
Predominantly by a group - as a box set under artist / title
Various Artists - under ‘Various Artists’ / title (Settings for various artists are to sort by title)

To make this work under a single sort/view in Roon, my Album Artists are a cataloging entity rather than one of the performers. (see screen shots).

My reasoning is that I usually select classical music by composer then composition then performance. I have yet to having a listening session based on a specific orchestra irrespective of the composition.
With non classical music, the primary focus changes to the group/artist first rather than the songwriters

Although Roon provides selecting by composition, this is currently too problematic for myself in practical use. I have a large proportion of unidentified albums (usually older recordings which are no longer in an active catalog).

1 Like

We are alas a very small voice in the feature request match :face_holding_back_tears:

Not only that, but I suspect that detailed handling of boxsets could involve a major redesign of the UI, e.g. a two-level Album browser, where selecting a boxset in the current Album browser would open up a second level disc browser with individual CD cover art.

That said, things have got better - remember the days before Focus became available on the individual album/boxset page? That was a nightmare…

I suspect that a thread on Classical Navigation may enlighten us to the many tricks and tools we have at our disposal.

When I get back to being allowed to type I will maybe start one :nauseated_face:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.