Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

It’s as if they haven’t made themselves clear and explained the reasoning many times

5 Likes

I will repeat it for the very last time, we don’t need folder browsing, but for the moment we need folder access to be able to tag/bookmark etc etc our allready curated collection. We need more ways to personalize our collection alongside the automated database way Roon is handling your collection. That’s what we want and that is what the Roon team seems to be completely deaf to. They should really ask themselves WHY people are asking for folder browsing. It is only because the alternatives for personalization are not evolved enough yet. To begin with a better organisation for your own tags and bookmarks and better ways to organize your collection. Roon has a lot of great functions but it also fals short on the very basics. So before accusing someone of being old fashioned please try to imagine WHY people are asking for functions. It is time to give the basics a bit more TLC. Come up with usefull alternatives and people will never ask for folder browsing again, up till then there will always be new requests from new users. You simply can’t expect from people to completely throw away their own curation.

3 Likes

Because we have a vision for where the product is going and file browsing is not part of that vision. The decision does remain with the user as we not forcing anyone buy Roon.

That’s not how software development works. Enhancements will be requested/made and bugs will need squashing.

3 Likes

There is a burger bar in Chicago run by a well established, somewhat well-known chef. They serve basically only burgers and fries, and focus on every element of the beef - choice of nearby farm-raised, grass-fed beef, ground in their kitchen, perfectly spiced. Delicious.

Except they only serve their burgers cooked one way: medium. Well, many people, including myself, having nothing to do with this restaurant or this chef’s choice, do not like our beef medium. I’m a well-done guy. Some people complain and argue about it.

Me? If I want one of their burgers, I order two, eat around the outside.

Do I think people are wrong for complaining and arguing? No.

Do I think the chef’s decision is just plain silly, and wonder if he’s playing with a full deck? Yes.

Am I ever going to learn to eat or like the pink meat in the middle? No.

Do I still go and buy two burgers as a workaround? Yes.

1 Like

Such a bad analogy.
Did the same people write these demands also to SAP or Oracle? “I have organized my mandates data in paper folders for decades. Why did I have do use your crazy database systems and can not longer use folders. What is so against your clients wishes.” :roll_eyes:

From yet another thread on the same cavil -

I get the impression that if the folder construct was, only now, invented by Roon, people would be complaining about having to use folders.

Reason i like ROON because of its search.It becomes hard to find stuff by folders.
I am hoping roon keeps improving search param/tags…

They have stated the position from day one and made it very clear to,people.

1 Like

Jeez guys, its not going to happen, deal with it and move on.

Well… I don’t need folder browsing; but I can understand why @Nyquist needs folder access… at least until Roon implement something that means he doesn’t… and I suspect he’s not alone.

@Nyquist @AndyRthis exists since Roon 1.7

you can manipulate your file tags to show up in Roon as Tags.

I finally got a chance to go through the reference you posted and I can simplify my genres, but there does not seem to be a way to map Roon’s genres. They are the ones that I would like to pare down. Did I miss something?

You asked:

So you set “Use genres from Roon’s metadata database” to “No” and you’re done.

That’s how it works – not the other way around.

If you leave the Roon genres active then you have to change (reassign/delete/add) them in Roon (edit album/artist).

If you want to change nesting (sub-genres/top-level genre) got to the genre (genre browser) and edit the genre there according to your wishes.

I struggle to comprehend the need for this at all in all my digital audio days and also video. Even in my LMS days I never used folder browsing. I don’t use it when I use UPnP either and obviously Plex doesn’t at all for Video. I guess Kodi gives you best of both but when I used it again never thought to go looking in folders. I have a nice UI and a search function hich is what I bought Roon for not to mimic my OS. I still have my albums in a artist/album folder structure due to habits with LMS and getting it to work properly but I never ever browse them other to add new files. If you want folder browsing use AudiVarna, JRiver or Asset etc

As long as you are not using Qobuz (or most likely Tidal too) to add tracks to library you should be fine.

Roon does not retrieve track genre from Qobuz during the adding to library process and it will affect the information.

An example for this is for Classical Genre, roon shows the composer information. After adding the tracks to library, without the Classical Genre, we don’t know who these pieces were composed by. Especially difficult when adding an album with multiple composers

Eh, you’re not getting it. The point is I have certainly moved on, but I reserve the right to think a product decision like that is rigid and questionable. If the thread is open, people with opinions on both sides should be able to state theirs.

When all is said and done… All IS said and DONE :joy:

2 Likes

Doesn’t Settings > General > Show composer credits > Always help here?

Hi @Brianw,

Oh my god thank you for pointing it out. I have set it to Always and now it shows the composer.

I think there is also a Conducted by when the genre is classical, but that is not important to me.

Anyways, here’s the thread where I was asking about the genre passing from Qobuz.

Even JRiver and Audirvana give other views to simplify life

1 Like