Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

I DON’T want it.

2 Likes

Nick, dont worry, you keep all you have now, folder is an OPTION, relax…

I am relaxed, how much programming time will it take, its an unnecessary option as far as I am concerned if I wish to find which folder a file is in it is easy.

There are many folder driven playback systems but only 1 album sleeve driven one. Why should the album driven one be like all the others. If you want a folder driven one then use one of those as they are apparently ‘better’ sounding.

5 Likes

I must say I think the small (But Beautifuly formed) Roon team have plenty more worthwhile things to spend time on at this stage.

3 Likes

Usually thats a business decision.
Not a “I dont want it”. Or even an " I want it".
Can it bring potential customers? Will it make stay some right now?
etc…
It shouldnt be emotional, like MQA.:joy:

Roon is well aware of the business trade offs. See these from some of the many threads on this issue.
Note that this is not an easy to do option given the multiple platform nature of Roon.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-needs-to-perform-search-for-files-folders/11885/13?u=carl

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-needs-to-perform-search-for-files-folders/11885/15?u=carl

1 Like

Thats what I said above. Thats all i want in regards to “folders”.
Use the word “storage location” if you feel some uprising emotions if you read the word: folder.

1 Like

Hello, I have just tried Roon for two days, as the seller of my Antipodes DS device told me. My library is mostly classical and I must say that when I try to find a specific play, it’s a mess. I was told to take Roon mostly for it’s sound quality but I must say that as long as there is no search by folder structure, I can’t afford it, even if the sound quality is the best with it.

I understand that some people prefer not to speak about files, but it’s my way to listen to music.

I would say, that’s fair enough, try before you buy. I just don’t understand how typing a name into the search funnel and getting exactly what you want is a problem.

example: I have in library:
Beethoven - Symphonies 1 & 4 Karajan - Phil de berlin
Beethoven - Symphonies 1 à 9 - Nikolaus Harnoncourt- Chamber Orchestra Of Europe -
Beethoven - Symphonies 1 à 9 ( - 2 et 7) - Karajan - Philarmonia Orchestra
Beethoven - Symphonies 6 & 8 -
Beethoven - Symphonies 9 - Wilhelm Furtwangler - Bayreuth Festival Orchestra & Chorus

if I type “Beethoven” I have hundreds of lines to read
if I type “Beethoven symphonie”
I have:

Beethoven:Symphonies
Beethoven:SymphoniesNos 1-9
Beethoven:Symphonies 1 & 4 ;Egmont overture
Beethoven:Symphonies 1 & 3
Beethoven:Symphonies (Krajan/philharmonia O 1951-5)

where is Beethoven - Symphonies 9 - Wilhelm Furtwangler - Bayreuth Festival Orchestra & Chorus???

if it’s because of the tags, then I have to deal with more than 4500 cd…

do I understand it right that you have more than 4000 CD’s and don’t use tags?

Apart from any discussion about folder browsing I’d really like to understand why people would spend incredible care on putting their CD’s in neatly organized folders without caring about tags… You’d just loose incredible potential for any searches independently on the library software you use.

I take care of my tags first and then let my software organize it in folders according to those tags. Why you would do it the other way round escapes me…

1 Like

I’am afraid for you, but I do not care about tags up to now because until now i do care about folders…

I am in exactly the same situation as you except most of my albums are jazz.

You can do whatever you want. I’m just curious why you’d do it.

I think the initial effort to maintain tags instead of folders and filenames is about the same, but the long term possibilities are quite different.
It’s like using MS Word just like you used your old typewriter. It’s ok to do so, but you miss a lot of possibilities the computer could give you.

If you are only loking for a player software that gives you the search possibilities of Windows Explorer than Roon may just not be the thing for you.

Just giving my opinion - everybody can do as he likes and preferences and priorities are different.

Tags require work to create and rely on verbal memory to find something specific. If you scroll up in the thread you will find my entry on locating an album I know I have but can’t quite remember. I find it much easier to find what I want in my folder structure than with Roon search or browse.

@pwright92

Admittedly I was focusing more on the general question: files/folders vs. tags. Even when using tags, Roon does not give you the same search experience as iTunes, MediaMonkey or JRiver. It’s a different concept. On the other hand it gives you so much more that all the other players and library managers don’t.

I wanted to understand why people prefer a folder structure to tags, when tags are so much more powerful. I have slightly complained about the way Roon deals with search strings, because my history is with JRiver, where i can just almost can search anything easily based on my tags.

I don’t completely understand you comment that tags would rely on verbal memory? Everytime I do a search I rely on my verbal memory, Isn’t that even more so with a folder based structure? It is to me much more like items on a shelf. I need to exactly remember where I’d put it in the first place and have my “putaway strategy” in my mind.
The first time I’d misplace one item I’d be completely lost finding it again.
With tagging this would not happen. I have so many big classical boxed sets in my collection that I’d never find a particular recording of a given piece if I’d rely only on my folder structure. I would not be even able to devise a folder structure that would allow me finding stuff.

But that’s maybe different in your case.

My own personal problem ( also it is disliked by me) is that the folder structure has grown over the last 12 years.
Simply because it was necessary to have some searchable order and structure in the database.
There was no Roon. Try to use a Linn or DLNA Ipad program without a folder structure.
If I do it again today all would be different. But that is in hindsight.

That would fully replace my folder structure.

I can easily remember where something is, but ask me the name of, say the streets in a route, and I will draw a blank. But I can easily remember the number of streets and turns to get somewhere. Verbal versus spatial memory.

1 Like

I like to know where things are. I did this for more than 20 years when music was not yet on pcs. So it’s far easier for me doing so. If I use Roon it’s for the sound quality.
I may use it for its associating features later.

And in a folder structure you have also the function search.