Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

Wise words indeed … this is exactly what I do and why I do it.
Also like you I full acknowledge others have there preferred workflow.

Where could I find this path browser you are talking about. I see only “storage location” in the focus function and that only shows the main directory of the music folder. Your example is excactly what I want to do but don’t know how. Please explain how to do it.

I think most people don’t even need a full fledge browsing by folder structure but I find it quite annoying that I can’t click on the file path to and go to the content of that path. That would not be so hard to implement. It helps a lot when my own “various artists” album are not being recognized by Roon. Then clicking on the filepath is the only way to get to the complete content of that “album” so I can give it proper tags. Tagging functionality is useless if you can’t reach the content in a proper way first. Please give us some tiny tiny possibility to go to the path content. That’s all I’m missing.

I don’t think that function exists - believe that was an example of how browse by folder structure could help people implement tags.

Ah, that explains everything. Still want it though

Many do. But this is a little like the US Congress right now - quite a polarizing issue!

Details are here.

And to be clear, this is simply a way to find a track using its path. It will also let you use paths for managing your collection with flows like “group all tracks in this folder into an album”, or “tag all tracks in this folder”. It’s not a “folder browser”, nor is it intended to be.

For an album that Roon doesn’t recognize and that doesn’t get reasonable identification from its tags, I tag it right after import: it appears first in the Album browser when sorted by Added Date.

If you want to check a number of previously imported and unidentified albums, you can Focus on them: Focus, Inspector, Identified, and click on the + to invert it. If you have a reasonably small number of unidentified albums, this is manageable.

I have a higher number of Vinyl Rips from the 50s and 60s, mostly classical music.
All tagged properly.
Close to nothing is recognised by Roon. Which is no surprise.
I use JRiver for that section of my Music library.
All I would need is one more depth in Focus, Inspector, Storage Location, etc…

If Roon does not identify … Have you tried telling Roon to use local metadata?

This is one example.

People seem to figure out all kinds of complicated workarounds. I think it’s strnage that I can click on almost anything in Roon to navigate through my music collection but I can nowhere click on the filepath to show me the contents of that folder. That’s all I want and I guess it’s all a lot of others want. From there we can use tags but first we have to get there without to much hassle.

1 Like

What Mike has alluded to above will allow you quite quickly to tag all your music by years.

So it’s tags instead of folders.

There’s so many on here buying the Roon Mercedes with the latest automatic transmission asking for the manual gearbox from their Fiat to be fitted to it.

.sjb.

4 Likes

You just don’t understand. It’s like those moments in life that you are searching for something wich you cannot directly remember what is was called (like a book, or a movie) but you know excactly where you left it the last time you have seen it. I have lot’s of connections with my music library that have nothing to do with any tag, metadata or whatever but where it came from and/or when it came to me. Yes it’s odd, but recognition by path helps A LOT in this. Again, I really do not need a full fledged file browser, just a click on the path to show me the content, thats all, nothing more reallly. I allready have organized my music this way and don’t want to spend weeks or months tagging everything. I just want to be able to view my music in my own totally odd organized way in parallel with the automated way. Roon is truly great but is is a serious shortcoming as far as I’m concerned.

That’s not it. We want it for utilitarian purposes. Best is to be able to play a file without having to have it indexed into the library.

It’s true, I don’t understand.

Is your book library organized by year?

Somebody talked about a directory for HDTracks so you can browse this albums. Is your book library organized by Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Crown Books, Waldenbooks?

Somebody talked about directories for CD, hi res, DVD. Is your book library organized by book size, or color vs. BW?

1 Like

I’m fascinated by this. Please explain.

You say all these rips are tagged properly. And as this image indicates, Roon represents these albums properly based on those tags. So what is your problem? Why do you want location?

There are some who seem to indicate that they have albums with no metadata at all, no tags, no Roon recognition, and they want storage location. That seems to me like, I want to read a particular book, I don’t know who wrote it or the title or what it’s about but it’s the 17th book from the right on the third shelf of the fourth book case. But that is not your situation, right?

I dont need “physical location”, folders etc.
Only thing I would like to have is stated above.
No need to explain all over again. I did that over and over again during the last years.
I use a lot JRiver with my Classic Collection (Vinyl Rips), which works flawless.
And I am happy with Roon for the rest.

No, my books are organized by the amount of words that are in it.
It should not matter how people want to organize their stuff, as long as lt is organized to them. Roon’s automation makes quite a mess of some parts of my collection, wich I can live with as long as I also can find things my own way. As much as I like Roon, it is not excactly perfect at the moment.

I dont want to be rude. I explain a bit.
Some 12 years back I started my digital music hobby.
I started with Linn. Bought their Music on a NAS and their streamers. Maybe it was 2006 or 2005.
The hardware to select music was the Nokia N 800 tablet.
I bought lots of 24 bit music, ripped my many 1000 CDs and ripped my many 1000 LPs.
All back in that “digital stone edge”.
You could only find some music with that Linn software and Nokia tablet if you organised your music in folders.
There was no other way back then.
For my Vinyl Rips I run a smallish NAS.
The main folder is called Vinyl Rips Classic Composers which contains all composer names…
Other main folder is Vinyl Rips Interpreters, contains the same as above in a different order.
Other main folder is Vinyl Rips and Dirigents, contains the same in a different folder.
Example: Mozart: Piano Concert xy is in 3 different locations.
Is in Mozart folder…
Is in Fricsay folder.
Is in Geza Anda folder.
etc…
I today am confronted with Roon, which is some cool piece of software.
In hindsight I would have done and organised things differently, IF I HAD ROON AT MY DISPOSAL back then.
But today I lack the time to redo everything. And these alone are 1000s of albums. And then there are the Jazz Rips…
I tagged them all with mp3 tag and JRiver.
So back then I could find anything I wanted to listen in a rather fast way.
All my newer stuff is organised in a Roon like way. But there is a part I listen to 3 or 4 times a month which is not.
Thats why a deeper location view would be helpfull to integrate that part of my collection into Roon.
Is it absolutely necessary? NO.
I can easily live with JRiver with that part of my music.

Sure, you can do things any way you want. But “it should not matter how people want to organize” is not realistic: each kind of indexing and search is work for the team.

Anyway, it is not my concern - Mike has explained the cost of a folder-based system, the Roon team has to choose what to invest in.

I’m just curious about the scenarios people have in mind. I don’t understand, because I have literally never wanted to do folder-based search, since I got Sooloos and the Roon. I did it a lot before, of course.