Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

Right I agree the right tagging leads to the solution which is wanted here.

Children, Classic whatever can be tagged by good tagging programs very easily based on folders.

I did this for all my Sampler Albums and have e new Genre called Sampler works without a flaw.

Focus then also helps a lot for specific situations the filter options there are REALLY awesome!

So no need of folder browsing (i was also fond of that before).

best regards,

Armin

Can you explain better. How can you in the first place know that that album is in that folder ? Which I suppose you have to know in order to tag it, and how can you do this in a batch ?

I’m sure I miss something very basic here.

Hi,

i know where my music is, because I copied it into that folder.

Ther is many software around what you can use to retag your music. I have used mp3tag. You can open a folder, mark all music and change the genre tag to what ever you like.

Greetings

Christian

Well, I have music on many different folders, for various reasons, and as long as it is not possible to distinguish between them in Roon, I guess I can’t tag them from Roon or ?

If I understand the mp3tag SW correctly, it ony batch rename files, or am I wrong again. I probably as misunderstood how tagging and metadata works in a windows file manager,

It is not renaming the file name, it is renaming the genre tag!
If you normally only use Roon, or with other software don’t use the genre tag this works perfect!

Greetings

Having just started with Roon, I will support the wish for developing a kind of file structure input. When I shifted from Squeezebox to Roon yesterday my wife was - as well as me - very happy about the info we now have access to - including the Tidal approach. And the setup with five music players was amazingly easy. However when she today should find the audiobook she asked for the old squeezebox, since we had to find the book almost randomly among all the other albums. I can see in the thread that the answer is to re-tag a lot of files ( it did not turn up as an audiobook), but I am not sure that I am ready for that. Instead of me re-tagging quite a lot of files, I would be very happy with a simple way to navigate into folder contents. Alternatively, a simple instruction into how I can see this in a different way.
So please bear with us who are new to Roon, and who over many years have insisted to (also) find our files through an old fashioned structure. I would not want to give up all the new opportunities this brings.

I also have a lot of audiobooks and tag them all Audiobook.
Initially I plouhged through, then I added them as I discovered them and now I add the Tag on import.
Now if I want Audiobooks, I just hit the Tag. If I want to exclude audiobooks I hit the tag twice.
It’s just so easy, jump in. Don’t leave your feet in the old camp.
Top pic, audiobooks excluded. Bottom pic, Audiobooks

s

Hi and welcome to Roon,

The reality is that tagging is available now, but browse by file structure is not and may never ever happen in Roon.

Assuming the audiobooks files are grouped under their own folder structure, they could be tagged quite quickly in one go using a tag editor of your choice (I use the one with dBpoweramp).

Roon would then be able to use this genres from the file, say “AudioBook”.

2 Likes

While folder browsing isn’t something we’re planning to add to the Roon interface right now, Roon 1.3 does have some expanded capabilities in this area.

Our new track browser will let you Focus by Path, so it’s easy find all the tracks in your /Music/Audiobooks folder, for example.

Once you’ve identified all the files in that folder, there are a few ways to easily locate that content in the future, including Bookmarks, Playlists, or Tags.

1 Like

Thank you to you all for the quick answers. I might go for tagging all the audiobooks. Mike, I cannot see how I can focus by path. I should go under tracks, and use focus, right? And then what?

1 Like

This is coming in Roon 1.3 – just wanted to mention that it’s something we’re working on.

More information here.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will be looking forward to that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if there is a technical reason for not supporting folder browsing but there is a metadata reason to support it. A large number of my Canadian and European releases are not identified by Roon. I would much rather just go to where I know they are rather than go through the tagging exercise for 500+ albums… Just saying.

1 Like

@pwright92

Just curious, do your unidentified albums not already have any tag data ? If not, then (sort it out Guv !!) you can easily run a bulk “file to tag” action to add tags using your chosen tag app.

If they did, then Roon will show that even if there is no matching ID. So, using Roon is the same as any album.

In a folder driven world you must scroll in a directory by either artist or album ? Ditto Roon.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nope, no tags. They were imported from iTunes and also from DNLA. It would be rather a bother to redo work that has already been done in the DNLA file system and would also let me find albums that did import into Roon (about 500 tracks).

I’m not sure why there is a hesitation to support folder browsing. It does take away anything and allows another way to get at the music.

2 Likes

When I was saying tags, I believe I should have been saying Bookmark.

1 Like

I have split some files into a few different shares but no easy way to browse the shares to see what’s there. With 4000+ albums it’s not easy to keep track of things which is further compounded by the lower availability of non-US Roon metadata.

1 Like

Just have to pick you up on the “non US data” comment.

I have a large library and am pretty sure you would never describe it as US centric. I get about 95% ID matching over approx 30k albums. I have spent a chunk of my hobby time tidying up meta tag data (usually adding correct disc number, track number and album titles) to give Roon a good chance to find the right ID. Also, even if using just folder path info, have you confirmed that multi-CD sets follow the right artist/album (disc x) naming convention?

The reason, I suspect, you perceive the lack of database coverage is that you have no tags. So, Roon has a much harder time trying to match. It may not be that your albums aren’t in the database just that they cannot be matched as they are.

You could take a few unidentified albums and use the edit function to manually find a match. Just to test that idea.

1 Like