Browsing by folder structure yet? Roon also used to mess up my folders... fixed? [no folder browsing, and no more organized folders]

Thanks, I will give it a try. Will report back later

Tried it with a couple of albums. Seems to skip a few steps this way. However,.whenever I ā€œmergeā€ albums I loose the album art and there is no way I can select a album cover image from the directory of the album while I know it is in there.

Interesting that we both speak passionately about rediscovering our music, but do it so differently.

To me, the most valuable thing is the links. It isnā€™t about tagging an album so I can find it,when I know what I want. It is the relationships. I pick a Keith Jarrett album, this is some great drumming, oh itā€™s Paul Motian instead of his usual Jack DeJohnette, what else do I have by Motian, Bill Evans in the 50s to Samuel Blaser in 2011 just before Motian died, that Blaser album has a great bassist, Thomas Morgan, what else do I have with him, Jakob Bro, David Virelles, lots of great music.

If all I have is a way to find albums, the web of relationships has to be in my head. Even when browsing through directories, like leafing through LPs in bins in the record store, why do you suddenly stop on one album and decide to play it? Because you know something about it and think it would fit now. But we canā€™t remember all the relationships, all the musicians and composers and poets and gigs.

This is the value some of us harp on. And want to share.

1 Like

I have many, many unidentified albums in my Roon DB but donā€™t recall ever encountering the situation you outline. What do the other tags look like, do all tracks have a common albumartist tag?

I do not often go browsing old work-related client files just to find something iā€™m in the mood for at the time. I hope you donā€™t either.

I would find it more curious and slightly worrying if all agreed on one single approach. Nobody is threatening the so beloved link mechanic, weā€™re just arguing for an additional way of browsing content that would increase the flexibility of Roon. Donā€™t see why thereā€™s such animosity. As Spock would have put itā€¦ ā€Fascinating!ā€.

1 Like

Hmm, wonder why it does that.
But I wonder more why it considered these 28 tracks to be 28 different albums, if the had the same album name in metadata. That has never happened to me.

Another voice for folder access. Iā€™m not arguing the virtues of one approach vs the other. I use both. The Roon approach is wonderful and what I use 80% of the time. The other 20% I have to use a different application, BubbleUPnP on Android tablet. The best on Android if you want folder browsing. The problem is I have to leave Roon to do it (and I do). And then I lose any volume leveling, DSP, etc. that Roon provides to the signal itself. Having access to folders withing Roon takes nothing away from anyone that doesnā€™t use them, doesnā€™t care, or think that those who do are ignorant ludites. So far, my primary dissatisfaction with Roon.

I disagree, Roon does not do that without reason.
An example from my own collection, a compilation from a friend, later ripped;
ADCD55E3-0370-477B-9FAA-EAC87612D27C

I cannot deny that Roon has ā€educatedā€ me in the ways of tagging my files in a few scenarios, but basically everything has been automatic.

1 Like

On closer look the 28 tracks did not have a album name tag.Roon named the album according to the folder name they where in, mistaked by me as an album tag. Thatā€™s why they showed up as 28 album with the same album name. But what I have missed is that there where 14 other tracks in the same folder that did have an album name tag. These did not show up in the album browser at the same place as the 28 tracks mentioned before because they did have a different album name. Anyways, itā€™s to complicated in Roon to be absolutely 100% sure you have covered the whole content of a directory when trying to merge/group the files in them.

Donā€™t know what you mean by ā€œdonā€™t show up in the same placeā€.
In the album browser, sorted by date added, you should see the first being 29 albums, the 28 broken ones that need to be merged, plus the good one.
I always look there after an import, just to look at how Roon recognized it, even though my music is almost always commercially acquired and identified. A few times I have gotten individual I tagged tracks from musician friends, and have done what I suggest here: import the folder, select whatever scrambled stuff I got in Roon, merge them into one ā€œalbumā€, and edit its metadata. Once that is done, I can do all normal Roon things with it.

Ross, you are obviously not a stupid person, of course you could follow it, if you care to.
Nor is it a complex process:

1. Import the folder
  2. Select the stuff that results from the untagged tracks, right-click, click, click, click; Edit; Merge
  3. Name the results, e.g. ā€œSallyā€™s recommendationsā€

I donā€™t doubt there are some who have such content that the identity-based approach doesnā€™t work, and who should use something else. There are some who are fully on board: I long ago lost all interest in folders for my music, photography, books and articles, magazines and newspapers, documents.

If we get beyond the partisanship, in the middle among some people who mostly benefit from Roonā€™s approach but occasionally have unidentified content, there is room for a discussion of usage patterns and benefits of Roon. If I suggest a simpler way to import and organize the occasional random collection, itā€™s because I try to be helpful.

At no time would I suggest manually tagging terabytes of files. For that situation, use something else.

4 Likes

Well, Iā€™m going to be simple in my opinion: ā€œI need search by folders to obtain a completely satisfactory music experienceā€ā€¦ I donā€™t know any streaming music app that doesnā€™t offer this posibility. Only Roon does (are they more musically experienced or more clever than the othersā€¦ I doubt)
And itā€™s not a question of technical or software imposibility. Itā€™s just because the CEO of Roon simply is jumped on a horse and he doesnā€™t want to go down from the horse. Despite hundreds or thousands of his customers claims for something that would make their music lives happiers and more completes.
Itā€™s the only one time in my life when I pray for the disappearing of some personā€¦ soon or later the CEO shall disappear, itā€™s just a time question, and in this moment logic will come to up. And weā€™ll have the search folders in Roon.
I have more than 18.000 CDs in my music library. I have the same album in more than 20-25 different editions, qualities, japan editions, high definition, DSD, UK edition, USA editionā€¦ 25th Anniversay editionā€¦ and I canā€™t find then ā€¦ itā€™s imposibleā€¦ why must I listen to them using a different app that offers me the posibility to find each edition in seconds, if Iā€™ve paid for Roonā€¦??? Why???

In a so long library, my memory (Iā€™m 60 years old) doesnā€™t offer me the posibility of remembering ALL the names of the albums or the artistā€¦ but I know perfectly where they are into my folders structureā€¦ Why must I die without listening to a music that I know but donā€™t remember the nameā€¦ ??? Why do I have to go to a different app to listen to it, if Iā€™ve paid for Roon???

Just because the CEO is on his horse???

Itā€™s not seriousā€¦ the faciltiy of folder search is basic and necesary for some users, so easy to be implemented and Iā€™m absolutely sure that any Roon user shall disclaim if you implement it.

Wow, just wow. The fact that you thought these words should leave your fingers is mind boggling as to the type of human you are. Words matter, and saying ā€œIā€™m not seriousā€ doesnā€™t save you, it just makes you a bad person in a second manner.

Danny, youā€™re wrong. Really wrongā€¦ Iā€™m not a bad person. I consider myself a normal and good guy. Seriously.
When I say ā€œdisappearingā€ I donā€™t think any bad thing happening to anybody. Just want to say something similar to an arab saying that says: ā€œMen are not mountainsā€ meaning that anything and anybody is fix forever. They movesā€¦ as CEO of another company or retired or selling the company to people with open minds, and so onā€¦ just want to say that. Nothing about the thoughts that your mind thinks wrongly.
Reading my own words, obviously you and anyother could think bad things, but that isnā€™t my intention. I swear.

1 Like

Iā€™ll chalk it up to language differencesā€¦ ā€œdisappearing someoneā€ in English has connotations of death.