BrystonBDP-2 + BDA-2 - "audio file is loading slowly this may indicate a performance or hardware-problem"

I am having the same problem, though it only seems to be happening with a set of Beethoven Symphony recordings that I downloaded from HDTracks and are AIFF, 192/24. The files just won;t play all the way through.

I should add that it is driving me crazy and nothing that I have tried, including restarting the various computers, media servers, etc., makes any difference. I run Roon off a Macbook Air with plenty of harddrive space, 4gig RAM with little else running. The network is an Apple Extreme, with the Roon Macbook air connected to a Bryston BDP2 with 600 gigs of FLAC on a 1 TB SSD drive mounted internally with via hardwired ethernet, the Bryston BDP-2 is connected to a Bryston BDA-2. I would love to get some help with this from Roon Labs. @support

Hi @Richard_Kessler ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is very appreciated and sorry to hear of the frustrations.

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• Just to make sure we are on the same page, this behavior is only occurring when you are trying to play back the mentioned content from HDTracks ("…Beethoven Symphony recordings that I downloaded from HDTracks and are AIFF, 192/24"), correct?

• Since noticing this behavior have you confirmed how other AIFF 192/24 files perform?

• If you have any other audio zones besides the Bryston BDP-2 + BDA-2, do they exhibit the same behavior when you try to play the mentioned content to them? If you do not have any other audio zones, can you please confirm what the experience is like if you play directly out of the internal speakers on the MacBook Air?

-Eric

Hi Eric.

Thank you for writing. It is much appreciated.

That is correct, it doesn’t occur with other AIFF 192/24 files,
though, since these are symphonic works, some of the files are 500megs.
That said, I use a portable Astell and Kern player and don’t
have any problems with these same files.

Other AIFF 192/24 files, seems fine. I was just listening to Simon and
Garfunkel’s complete works, which are much smaller/shorter
files.

The only other zone I have set up is for Sonos, but I haven’t
used it much. I will try playing directly from the MacBook Air.

Oh, one last thing: when I used the Bryston interface before subscribing
to Roon, I had no problem playing those files.

Thanks!

Richard

Hi @Richard_Kessler ---- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Please let me know how testing with the MacBook Air goes as I am curious to hear what observations are made during that test. Additionally, If the behavior DOES present itself again when playback through MBA’s internal speakers would it be possible for you to zip up and send over one of the mentioned AIFF files exhibiting this behavior for further analysis?

-Eric

Hi Eric.

I actually tried to play the file over the Sonos zone i had set up and received a different message: Roon Lost Control of the Audio Device. I will zip the first track and send it to you. To what email address should I send it to? Thank you! – Richard

Hi Eric. Okay, correction: I just tried to play another Hi Res set of tracks, Schubert Symphony 9, also from HD Tracks 192/ 24. Sam problem as the other: it stops and then “Audio file is loading slowly, this may indicate…”

Thank you for getting in touch with me @Richard_Kessler, very appreciated!

Continuing forward I have “unlisted” this thread so we can continue to address this behavior “here” as opposed to having to bounce back and forth between the thread and a PM.

Before I go ahead and have you send some media over to us for testing I want to ask if you have been able to test with the internal speakers on the MacBook Air and if this issue is reproducible after the endpoint has been rebooted. I know you had mentioned in your initial post that you had restarted “the various computers, media servers, etc.” and this made no difference, but would like to confirm if power cycling the endpoint specifically triggers any changes in behavior here.

The reason for my asking is because I want to be sure that we are addressing this behavior correctly. If this was related to a single group of files (i.e “Beethoven Symphony recordings that I downloaded from HDTracks and are AIFF, 192/24”) then the issue would be very specific, but being as you have noticed this behavior again with a different media set there may be more generalized problem occurring here.

-Eric

Hi Eric.

Thank you so much for the support. I do love Roon and really want to be able to play my large Hi Res files.=20

So, I created a new zone that plays out of the speakers on my MacBook Air, where the Roon Core is located. I then rebooted both Roon and also the Bryston BDP-2 and the Beethoven is playing fine.

Let me know what you think is going on and again, thank you so much. I really appreciate the help.

Richard

Always glad to help @Richard_Kessler, it’s my pleasure.

Being as things are working after a reboot I am inclined to think that there is a more general issue occurring here. As such I have placed a feedback request with the team to see if we have a BDP-2 and BDA-2 in house to see what we can come up with on our end.

I will let you know what the team says and if you make any new observations please do share with me.

-Eric