Budget roon core build - feedback requested

Hi Fritzg,

Replace “your_router” with your router SSD.
Replace “your_wpa_key” with your WPA key.

Yeah. Did that. (I wasn’t gonna post my info here.) Didn’t work.

@fritz - did you reset the network interface after editing the interfaces file with ‘sudo ifdown wls1; ifup wls1’?

If it’s still not working, what does the command ‘ifconfig’ say?

Thanks for the advice and encouragement here. I got wifi working by putting my SSID in quotes (it is two words) and the password by itself. This worked in both 15.10 and 14.04.

Well, I’ve successfully installed Ubuntu Server 14.04 on my late 2007 Mac Mini. This is the 64 bit version, I previously installed the i386 version of 15.10, but that obviously (duh!) didn’t work for Roon. Wifi works and SSH is enabled and works, but doesn’t if I haven’t logged in locally. Roon isn’t installed yet because I had detached monitor and keyboard to test SSH in that mode and install Roon remotely. That is for tonight.

Any advice on using SSH without logging in locally first?

I got my box set up last night and have Roon server running on it. I ended up attaching an extra 1TB USB drive to the box to get the music working. I’ll probably add a WD MyCloud or some such device to my network at some point and transfer the files over there. Now I need to spend some time figuring out SSH (which is completely foreign to me) so any tips you give to @fritzg will probably work for me as well. If it makes any difference I’ll be using a Windows 7 machine to access the box remotely.

Hi,

I’m a little bit confused here. SSH is running but you can’t log in? How do you connect? Something like this:

ssh your_name@yourserver ?

Just to clarify, in the line above, replace ‘your_name’ with your Ubuntu login name, which was created during the install and ‘yoursever’ with the ip address of your Ubuntu machine

No hassle running Ubuntu 15.1 on an AMD A4 unit headless. Passively cooled 4gb and 500GB 2.5" Harddisk.
Roons runs well.

Remote control through Android or Win10 works well.

My only issues are:

• dropout of internet radio now and then
  • Tidal sometimes streams at “half speed”, the replay is very slow and Johnny Cash sounded like Lurch.

@JeremyAH I can login via ssh when the local user is logged in on the server. However, if the machine reboots, ssh doesn’t let me login until the local user logs in and the login prompt is gone.

@fritzg I’ve seen others describe identical/very similar issues on the 15.x releases of Ubuntu which looked like they may have been related to network manager.

While I’m tempted to suggest you try setting up the machine with Ubuntu Server 16.04 (as I’ve tried the server release of this version without issues), I’d be seriously inclined to re-install OS X and run Roon on that!

That was certainly going to be my plan, had I not had a spare PC lying around…

@JeremyAH Roon won’'t install on this Mac Mini in OSX because it only runs up to 10.5 or something.

This is an effort to find some life in this old girl and an experiment to seeing if I can make it work and deal with Linux if a do a budget DIY.

Ask about the SSH issue on An Ubuntu Form. It should have worked out of the box…

Or you could try another distro of course, but that means reinstall.

@fritgz ah, I see. In that case, I would echo what @spockfish says. It should have worked out of the box and I would check on the Ubuntu forum as it looks like it needs advice from an expert. Alternatively, try the 16.04 server version of Ubuntu as I have a suspicion this is an issue that can arise when installing the GUI. Again, that requires a reinstall, which is a pain.

@JeremyAH yeah. 14.04 is the last 64 bit version that will work on this mini. I may go an auto login route and see if that does the trick. This is really mostly an experiment on my part to see how far back Roon can go on legacy machines. It may be this is just a rather boxey RoonBridge. :slight_smile:

@fritzg Actually, that might be enough to get SSH going.

Looking at the forums and the fact that this only seems to be happening on the desktop installs, I suspect the only other way around this might be by installing the server version of 14.04 without the GUI.

@JeremyAH This is the server install. I’ve looked at boards, too. I’ve gotten this old mini pretty far, trying to see if I can get it all the way across the line. :slight_smile:

Could you run the ssh command with the -v switch (verbose) and show us the log?

Also, how are you shutting down the system? I’ve just seen a post that suggests if the kernel isn’t happy with the shutdown, it will reboot in maintenance mode (which is single user).

@admins - Is it worth splitting this thread between @fritzg and @Mark_Sinderson (slightly) different questions?

I’ve pretty much decided not to worry about SSH for now since I can connect an old monitor to the box to do stuff. One thing I can’t seem to get to work is to be able to actually view a folder from the attached USB drive that is “shared” in Windows. I can see it but can’t open it. It looks like there is some adjusting that needs to be done in SAMBA in order to make that happen and most of the GUI’s for SAMBA don’t seem to work in the most recent release of server (16.04). Any tips to do that? It’s not urgent at this point but I would like to be able to RIP a CD on my Windows desktop and send the files to the folder on the Ubuntu box.

you need to look in

/etc/samba/smb.conf

In this case it sounds like a permission issue (the user you’re mounting the samba shares need the proper rights).

Still i’m interested in the output of

ssh -v

though :wink: