Buffering/Losing connection frequently

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Window 10 Pro PC, Intel i9-9900k, 32 GB ram, Roon v1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Spectrum 1Gb up/ 40Mb down, Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 mesh network- 1 base and 2 satellites, Stable connection with strong signal everywhere

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Muso 2nd generation (WIFI - roon ready)
Naim Muso Qb 2nd generation (WIFI - roon ready)
Naim Muso Qb 1st generation via HIFIberry (RoPieee) ethernet connection
Marantz SR8012 via HIFIberry (RoPieee) ethernet connection

Description Of Issue

I love Roon when it works but unfortunately I have been having issues with maintaining a stable stream. A song will play and all of the sudden stop, maybe buffer and replay or just skip to the next song. This happens every couple minutes and sometimes Roon just gives up and stops playing. This occurs with both locally stored files and Qobuz. Switching to chromecast endpoints on the same devices does the same thing. Conversely, if i switch from Roon to Airplay endpoints on the same devices the appears to start buffering but never plays.

My home is from the 1890s and it’s impossible to run audio or ethernet cables through the walls. My goal is to have wireless whole home audio without the frustration of having songs skipping or buffering continuously.

Thanks for you help!

1 Like

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices

WiFi for the core is not recommended.

1 Like

Sorry. Meant to include the core is connected to the primary router via Ethernet. Also the connection is 1Gb down not up. The distribution to the end points is what I hope to make work with WiFi. Thanks

I would check your wireless is getting strong enough signals to the areas where endpoints are you can do this with an app on your phone. If your in a built up area then 2.4ghz can become oversaturated and perform pretty baldy as your sharing airtine with everyone else around you. 5ghz frequency can help here but in older properties the likely thicker walls will effect 5ghz from working efficiently or at all as it has poor penetration. If your in a rural location then you have less likely interference from others but the walls of older properties can still reak havoc.

As an experiment try playing music directly from the output of the core if you can using its system output or connect a DAC direct to it. This will test to see if the issue is related to network to the other zones or the server itself is the issue.

1 Like

Hello @Carlos_Gaona, CrystalGypsy have a great suggestion here. Please let me know how it turns out!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.