Bug: Serious data corruption. Reproducible every time

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS 11.2.2, Roon 1.8 build 764

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Unifi Dream Machine

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Holo Audio May DAC

Description Of Issue

Duplicate albums are added to the library and resulted in “aliasing” issue.

Steps to reproduce:

I have Qobuz.

1. Find an Qobuz album that’s not in your library
  2. Click the album to go into the album view.
  3. Click on the 3-dot menu on the right and click Add to a playlist
  4. Once added to the playlist, go into the playlist and click on the track’s 3-dot menu on the right. Note that I can’t favorite that track. This is normal because the album is not added to the library yet.
  5. Now, go back to the album. Click the plus icon to add the album to the library.
  6. Go back to the playlist and click on the 3-dot menu of the track. No favorite icon there.
  7. Go back to the album we just added to the library. Make sure when you go back to the album, the album has a “heart” instead of a “plus” icon. i.e., it’s added to the library.
  8. Now add the same track to the playlist.
  9. Go back to the playlist, the last track added will have a favorite icon/button when you click the 3-dot menu.

So, here is my theory.

Roon probably created two album objects in memory but in real life, I’m referring to the same Qobuz album. The solution is to not clone the album object in memory. If you do, you’d need to keep all of them in-sync. This is the case that needs a reference to the album object instead of treating the album as a value object. Each album in this case has an unique ID and album should be an aggregate/domain object instead of a value object.

Please let me know what else I can provide to help fix this issue. This issue is driving me nuts because I’ll have to remember to add the tracks to the library first before I add them to the playlist or otherwise, if I do it in the wrong order, I wouldn’t be able to “favorite” the track later. Now, I have to go back to my playlist and re-add them to correct the issue on hundreds of tracks.

1 Like

Flagging @support

I can’t see where data gets corrupted from the description of your issue. To me it reads like you’re just describing the way it is with Roon. Read also:

The album that is not in your library is a different object than once it is added. So the track you added to the playlist before you added the album to your library will always refer to the non library object. That is how Roon has always worked.

That is why I always suggest adding to the library first, then, add ton a playlist. Obviously, that might not work for some, at that point you have to replace the tracks on the playlist after you have added it to your library.

If you want a different functionality, then I would suggest a Feature Request post.

1 Like

Ok. I’m new to Roon. Honestly that’s kind of counter-intuitive. But if that’s how it works, it is what it is.

I notice that I can add a single track to the library out of an album. Then, I can view the entire album again by clicking the “view complete album on Qobuz” link and add the entire album. Can you clarify how that works in the model? When I add an album to my library, do you add the album and all tracks and when I add only one track, only the album meta data and that single track is added? What happen when I can go back to the non-library qobuz album and add more tracks? Do those new additional tracks get added to the library album I added earlier? I ask because when I go back to add additional tracks, Roon’s just spinning and got really confused forever when adding additional tracks. I have to back track and click on the album again to retry. Sometimes I see two duplicate albums but it’d be back to one album when I start from my artist page again to traverse back to the artist’s albums.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.