Build 102 HQP issues

@KMan, I did as you suggested. PCM has some crackles and SDM continues to drop out. Auto, however, seems much more stable but still get some “pops” (like noise on an LP) on resolution greater than 16/44 and lot’s of drop outs on DSD.

Do you have any other USB devices connected? I believe also some internal Mac components are connected to the internal USB hub…

Another point to notice are newer Macs with USB3 vs older ones with USB2. My iMac has USB3 ports and some DACs have problems with those. IIRC, with some DACs problems disappeared when I connected those to the USB2 port of the wired Apple keyboard’s built-in hub.

There are no other devices plugged into any of the USB outlets on my iMac. It does have USB 3.0 since it’s a newer Mac. I use a wireless Apple keyboard with no powered USB outlet.

Do you have latest firmware on your Geek? I believe it uses XMOS chip. Early firmware versions on iFi DACs (also using XMOS) used to have problems with my iMac’s USB3 ports, but they fixed it with a firmware update.

I do have the latest firmware 2.0 MCU 2.4. Also, HQP on its own works fine as does Roon. No issues when used separately. Only when used together.

OK, I’m just trying to figure out what could be the problem… Does the same problem appear with built-in audio? How does the Audio/MIDI Settings look like? You could also try setting your computer’s network IP address as HQPlayer address in Roon and see if that makes any difference.

Hi Mark,

There was some discussion about the Exasound ASIO drivers and HQP in this thread but it didn’t seem immediately relevant to your issues. Are you using an NAA at all ?

HQP is set to local host on my Mac. Built in audio plays fine. Attached is a screen shot of my audio/midi settings.

Hello Andy, I’m not using NAA, so it doesn’t pertain. My issues are related to the ASIO driver however; I am able to use the exaSound core audio driver with no issues, and I am able to jump all over without crashing HQP. When I switch to the ASIO driver, I can only listen to a whole album or playlist. Starting another or jumping tracks crashes HQP every time. I sent Jussi the logs and crash reports, so hopefully he can see what happening.

I have to mention the awesome support from HQP! Jussi sent me a link to another beta to try that attempted to address the crashing. It didn’t work, but he sure is trying!

2 Likes

@jussi_laako, did you update something in 3.13.1beta1 for Mac?

Some minor bug fixes, “progress spinner” for the initialization period when starting playback and trying to fix some occasional communication problems on the remote control interface.

Mostly small ASIO backend fixes I may have introduced when I added the auto-rate feature. I soon have beta2 hopefully fixing the crashes Mark has been seeing…

I’m about 90 minutes into a listening session with this beta and have not experienced any pops or dropouts with 24/88 or 24/96 files on PCM or auto settings. I’m keeping my fingers crossed…

Mysterious… Probably biggest change recently has been Xcode update from Apple…

This is the longest and combination of Roon/HQP has ben stable on my system ever. I’m almost afraid to touch the key board for fear of screwing something up! Too soon to know for sure but off to a good start.

Glad to hear it Jeff! Jussi is so close to making it happen! It’s so close I can smell it!

For me it’s working better than it ever has, other than the crashing with the ASIO drivers!

Well, great news folks… Jussi posted his latest beta about a half hour ago and bingo!

My HQP crashing issue with the ASIO driver look to be resolved. Jumping around tracks, albums, etc. is working great, and seems quicker too!

Most importantly, things are sounding FANTASTIC now that I am able to use the ASIO driver. Rarely am I a “whole” album listener, and this is so great!

Thanks Jussi!! Well done! Your HQPlayer is worth every penny!

1 Like

I have had the occasional white noise when switching between tracks or switching to an album with a different sample rate (it does not bother me much as I am a whole album listener). I will check if the latest beta fixes it.

An update on Build 102 + HQP 3.13.1b2. I got white noise when I abruptly switched to tracks with a different sample rate, the only way to avoid it was by resetting HQP (open setting, and close it back). I have since tracked it down to the linux driver on my NAA. This is for Hugo TT. When I use a Win 10 laptop with ASIO driver as NAA, I do not have the problem. Both Audiolinux and Win 10 are running on the same laptop.

Is anyone else facing a similar issue when switching to tracks with different sample rates?

1 Like

@jussi_laako. Using 3.13.0, I noticed the Auto rate family box today and decided to check it and change from SDM (DSD) to the "auto’ dropdown. Played a redbook CD flac file and the bit rate was 352.8 as previously it read 384…although I get what I would call a slight digital hiccup every 5 sec of the song.

I just installed 3.13.1beta2 and exact same issue.

FYI, I run an iMac 3.4GHz i7 (10.11.3) and I recently installed a Sonicobiter SE NAA.

Hi, using latest builds of Roon (102) and HQPlayer and when playing a playlist, it appears Roon is “stopping” between tracks which causes HQPlayer to “reinitialize” eg, progress bar is displayed. This happens even when the tracks are of the same format (eg redbook flac files). This did not happen before build 102, i don’t believe. I run Roon server and Roon on an iPad. Are others experiencing the same thing? Thanks, hammer.