Build 161: iPad seems to take longer to initially connect to Roon server?

Anybody else see this behavior?

Or is it something about my Eero network?

But I haven’t changed the network…

The behavior changed for me too, it can take up to 10 s. The only thing thats changed on my Pro is the Roon build.

Me too. I had this also with other apps.
Delete and instal the Roon app again helped here.

i’ve not seen this, and i have an eero network too…I’m on ios 10 as well. iPad Pro (the big one)

Hi All (@AndersVinberg) (@Fredrik) ----- Thank you for the reports and sharing your observations with us. My apologies for the troubles. I would like to gather some information from you both to help aide in our evaluation of what could be going on here.

May I kindly ask for the following information:

1. A brief description of your current setup, as seen here.

2. A brief description of your network configuration and topology. I want to get an understanding of how your devices are communicating and any networking hardware you are implementing.

3. Please provide the specs of your iPad (iOS etc).

-Eric

Hi @Roony ---- Thank you for the feedback. Have things been consistently stable for you since the re-install? No other issues?

-Eric

So you got the big one. How do you like it?

I don’t have one, but I noted that the detached screen of my Surface Book is almost exactly the same dimensions and weight. It’s fine. I nonetheless typically use my regular iPad, more likely because of iOS vs. Windows.

The big one changed my entire outlook on tablets… I use it for watching TV, Youtube Kids, and Roon… before that, all my tablets were useless, even for Roon… the big iPad Pro made tablets fun.

My core is an i5 NUC running Windows 10. 500 GB SSD for OS and Roon, 2 TB SSD internal for the music. It is connected to an Eero node through a switch. I have six Eero switches around the house. I have not made any recent changes to the network.

iPad retina 2 I think is the correct description of my oldish iPad. It connects to that same Eero network. Recently upgraded to iOS 10, don’t remembered which was upgraded first, Roon 161 or iOS 10.

Don’t know if the NUC has recently updated itself, it is in auto mode for Windows Update. But Windows itself is not slow, responds instantly when another Windows machine goes there in Windows Explorer.

I just tested Roon from a Windows 10 Surface Book and it took maybe 20 seconds, displayed the “do you want to connect to another core” screen before eventually connecting.

My endpoint are currently all over IP, no USB. They work fine.

Hmm, you are convincing…

If you can just work around the limitation on a Roon endpoint on the iPad. As we have discussed at length…

The core is an i7 windows 10 64-bit 250gb SSD for OS and Roon and 110k+ tracks on internal 2TB SSD and 4TB Usb 3.0 external drive. It is connected to the network through a Netgear prosafe switch and Asus N68U Router.

The iPad is a 12.9 Pro with iOS 10 an Roon 161.

After work today I did what @Roony did and reinstalled Roon, I will test it tonight.

@Roony @Fredrik Reinstall the iOS app, or the core?

I just tested the iPhone app, I did not exhibit the delay. Shows as build 162.

we have a log that shows that the network interface on the ipad is doing something funny… but it should resolve by itself…reinstalls on iOS shouldnt change anything.

Sorry, I have 162 on the iPad.
I reinstalled on the iPad.

The ios app for the iPad

I had this also sometimes with the Aurender app.
Delete and install again did the job…for me!

Perfect now.
I had the black interface, now the white…?

Deleted and reinstalled, don’t think it changed. Maybe a smidgen. About 5 s to connect, still slower than it was.

@Roony @Fredrik @Danny When I close the iOS app (double-click the home button and drag upwards with three fingers, I don’t know if there is an easier way) and immediately restart it, the app connects immediately. Wait five minutes or so before restarting the app, and the slow connection comes back. This suggests to me that it is an iOS 10 change: closing the app supposedly discards all its state, but maybe iOS maintains a connection for a while and then drops it, so a new connection requires iOS doing network discovery. @Mike @Danny does this sound plausible?