Build 242 and multichannel music

I tried Build 242, which is meant to solve issues playing stereo and multichannel audio using the same channel layout, and it does properly send stereo content using the 2.0 layout even when 5.1 or 7.1 is selected as the channel layout. So that’s good!

But otherwise it messes up multichannel playback when either 5.1 or 7.1 is selected.

When 5.1 is the selected layout multichannel files simply won’t play. Instead, this message is displayed: “Transport: playback_error_endpoint_device_init_failed”.

And when 7.1 is selected as the channel layout 5.1 multichannel files play but the back channels come out of the rear rather than the sides.

The convention followed by everyone else is that 5.1 channel audio uses the side surrounds rather than the rears in a 7.1 setup.

So now I can’t get multichannel files to play correctly using any layout.

I’m using a NUC running ROCK. I’ve powered it down, restarted, etc., but these issues persist. I use the HDMI output connected to an Anthem AVM 60 processor.

I really want the 5.1 layout to work. That way my processor thinks it is receiving a 5.1-channel signal with multichannel music, so the up-mixing modes available for 5.1 to 7.1.4 are available.

I still think the best way to implement this is by sending out the actual channel count employed in the file. Again, this is the way other sources work, including DVD and Blu-ray players and JRiver Media Center on Windows.

Multichannel is still working for me fine with the new build however I’m not using ROCK on my NUC. The bonus for me now is that DTS encoded 2 channel FLAC files are now playing in 5.1 as intended !!

Interesting. What OS do you use? Do you use HDMI or USB? What channel layout do you use. How many channels do you have in your setup (5.1, 7.1, ?). I have a Windows HTPC in the same room that I can set up as a bridge. Maybe I’ll try that to help sort out this issue.

Windows 7 Core, Windows 10 NUC feeding HDMI to my Oppo blu-ray player then to Onkyo receiver. I’m not at home at the moment so I cannot check but I think the output is set to “Channel Mapping Only” or something like that. 2 channel shows stereo on the receiver then switches to DTS for the FLACs I mentioned earlier then Multichannel for 5.1 or 7.1 FLAC.

I tried “channel mapping only,” but nothing is changed.

I think @support need to help you

Cheers

I’ve downloaded Roon Bridge on my Windows HTPC, and I can report that it works correctly using the 7.1 layout with a 5.1 file. That is, the back channels are properly routed to my side channels. HDMI is the default output on that PC, so I set it up to use the default device. It works the same if I select Intel Display Audio as the output. But stereo files will not play.

If I change the channel layout to 2.0 or 5.1 on the Windows machine neither stereo nor multichannel files will play. In fact, nothing will play. It seems to try and then shows nothing is playing.

Frustrating.

Further investigation reveals that using the NUC/ROCK HDMI out, setting the channel layout at 7.1, and swapping the side and back channels, results in correct playback of both stereo and 5.1 music files.

@Brian, So it seems that for the 7.1 layout the only problem is that the side and back channels are reversed.

But other issues persist.