Build 247 Audio Loss after Update [Resolved with new build]

I guess I have the same problem. The system is skipping all the 44kHz 16bit files when exclusive mode is enabled. All other formats are playing ok. In order to play the 44kHz 16bit files I need either to disable the exclusive mode or to enable upsampling.

Stefano

The latest update broke exclusive mode for me as well.

I have an iMac connected to a PS Audio Sprout via USB, and I had to turn off exclusive mode to get playback to start. Powering down and restarting everything did not fix the problem.

Still working fine streaming to a Sonos Connect:Amp and a Sonos Play 1.

Just adding a “me too” so I can follow this.

After the update not a single file would play no matter the format. I’ve disabled Exclusive mode and that worked though the bit-perfect indicator doesn’t work now as others have noted.

FWIW, at work I’m just playing straight off my Macbook Pro to a Fiio X5 2nd Gen so there’s nothing much in my hardware to be concerned about.

@support

Guys, new build is out, try to update and let us know.

Success! Exclusive Mode now working again for me.

Thanks for the prompt fix.

@support

Thanks for the super quick turnaround. I tried the fix and had mixed results. My iFi SPDIF converter
appears to be working normally again in exclusive mode.

But the Audiophilio (my preferred converter) still won’t play hi res files. When I attempt to play a hi res album
I see all the tracks cycle through their waveforms and disappear in the space of one second. And nothing
shows up in the queue.

I’ll use my iFi for now and hope you will come up with a better idea.

Thanks again,
Paul

New build seems to have resolved issue.

Now the 44kHz 16bit files are played also in exclusive mode but there are still two strange behavior:

1. if exclusive mode is disabled, roon is not changing the frequency on my dac when playing files with different resolution. The frequency on the dac stays 44kHz even when playing 192kHz files (it looks like core audio is doing the down sample)
  2. in exclusive mode when playing file with different resolution, I see that the dac is alternating 3 times between “no lock” and the new resolution. For example when switching from 192kHz to 44kHz the display of the dac is showing 192kHz-> no lock -> 44kHz -> no lock -> 44kHz -> no lock -> 44kHz and then playing the new file while before the behavior was 192kHz -> No lock -> 44kHz and then playing the file.

Thanks Stefano

Yes, Build 248 restores audio while exlusive mode is turned on.

thanks!

I forgot to mention that the dac is Musical Fidelity M6DAC connected via USB to a Mac Mini and I forgot to add @support in my previous reply

Thanks
Stefano

I am also seeing the no-lock alternating situation that Stephano mentioned.

Restored exclusive mode on PS Audio Sprout.

1. if exclusive mode is disabled, roon is not changing the frequency on my dac when playing files with different resolution. The frequency on the dac stays 44kHz even when playing 192kHz files (it looks like core audio is doing the down sample)

That’s because in shared mode CoreAudio downsamples everything to lowest sample rate.

1. in exclusive mode when playing file with different resolution, I see that the dac is alternating 3 times between “no lock” and the new resolution. For example when switching from 192kHz to 44kHz the display of the dac is showing 192kHz-> no lock -> 44kHz -> no lock -> 44kHz -> no lock -> 44kHz and then playing the new file while before the behavior was 192kHz -> No lock -> 44kHz and then playing the file.

Can’t say much at the moment about this behavior. I’ll check in with the team whether we have such DAC in house to test or not.

Hi @vova ,

Regarding item 2 is there a log I can collect to help you with the analysis? Paul_Kovit reported the same behavior and he has a iFi, maybe you have this electronic in house to check?

Regarding item 1, since when the behavior is like this? I’ve been using roon for a long time without exclusive mode (don’t remember which version) and roon was changing the resolution on the device based on the resolution of the file. This is also how every other sw is doing (I just tried pure music to confirm).

Thanks
Stefano

Hi @vova ,

Regarding item 2 is there a log I can collect to help you with the analysis? Paul_Kovit reported the same behavior and he has a iFi, maybe you have this electronic in house to check?

Regarding item 1, since when the behavior is like this? I’ve been using roon for a long time without exclusive mode (don’t remember which version) and roon was changing the resolution on the device based on the resolution of the file. This is also how every other sw is doing (I just tried pure music to confirm).

Thanks
Stefano

4 posts were split to a new topic: I just installed B247 and my NAS library and my devices are now gone

MacOS/Core Audio doesn’t change sample rate unless using exclusive for me. It’s always been that way.

Thanks for the fix. I had the same problem on my iMac after the last update. 248 fixes it.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to play hi res content using an Audiophilio SPIDF converter