Build 276 Synology DS918+ with Roon core+libs does not hibernate

I am currently not sure if this behavior can be changed. And if it can be done it has to be applied to the RoonServer software itself.
I was reading quite a lot about hibernation issues on Synology and it seems that there is a long list of apps (even Apps from Synology) that struggle with the same issue.

This is for example from Synology’s knowledge base page regarding hibernation issues:

Nevertheless, I will try to get more info about it and try to find out if there is anything that can be done about it.

1 Like

Hibernation is a tough cookie to crumble if you have al kinds of packages and services installed and have no clue what you are doing. I know how to let my NAS hibernate properly and atm RoonServer is for a fact preventing that from happening. Considering that a few updates back it would let the NAS hibernate properly, it surely looks like the Roon team has got itself a project on hands.

Please don’t put this on Synology, this hibernation problem really is Roon’s own doing.

To which version are you referring to? For my tests I also tried version 1.2 (i think it was build 154) and still had no success with hibernation (until I unplugged the ethernet cable)…

Then please read the earlier posts in this thread. I was not keeping track as to with what update the hibernation stopped working but it must be within the last couple of months.

A post was split to a new topic: Hibernating a NAS

Hi @Anthro,

Thankyou very much for setting out your tutorial to hibernate a Synology NAS. I haven’t delved into this area myself but it is exactly the kind of helpful discussion between users that we want to promote on the forum.

Moderators have shifted it to its own thread in Tinkering as it involves altering some system config files that may be an adventure for standard users. The Tinkering section is for discussions between users of what works for them in various contexts but may not be officially supported by Roon. This thread will remain open for further discussion regarding the hibernation issue generally with the Tinkering thread hosting discussion regarding your tutorial in particular.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

Just curious if there has been any update to the hibernation problem avoiding any of the workarounds?
Thanks

At least I have isolated the issue with my last test: Running RoonServer with an enabled Firewall which is blocking all requests of Roon does enable hibernation. Of course, RoonServer is not usable that way, but it indicates, that it is not an issue of read/write access on the internal disks. It is more an issue of network traffic.
I tried to gather information about this, but could not find any solution to this yet. I forwarded this to the Roon team.
This behaviour seems different than on other Linux platforms, and I am currently unsure if it can be solved at all.

Thanks for the update!
The effort is much appreciated!

Hi @crieke,

As you are the most specialized in Roon & Synology & what is all not working to get it in hibernation: it seems logical to me that you are the best to contact Synology. Makes it for them by far easier than to serve a dozens of users who are no insiders in Roon.

I would appreciate that very much.
KR Edwin

Any update?

I have a contact for developers right now, as the regular support team was not able help.
I just wrote this contact again and waiting for his reply.
I am sorry that it takes so long. In the last weeks I had quite a lot of workload with my regular job, that I was not able to follow up as quickly as I normally could have.

1 Like

Hi Crieke,
dont look to far, when I switch off Roon on my server it is able to go into hibernation.
Edwin

Thanks for the response crieke.

I did not forget about this, but so far no reaction from the Synology developer department (after 17 days). :frowning:

1 Like

Fingers crossed

My Roon core is installed on a NUC with Windows, all my files stored on a separate NAS (Synology).

Realized my NAS never goes into sleeping mode anymore after implementing Roon, any ways to change this?

I assume when not playing music eg. using Roon, my NAS should not be active since its only used for music files.

are you analyzing still?

settings -> sidebar -> library

No