Build 354 - Displays Feedback

I like this new display feature :sunglasses:

One question:
Is it possible to add a ‘fullscreen button’? I use the display feature on my Galaxy View Tab, e.g. with Chrome browser. I tried different browsers, either they do not work or they do not offer any fullcreen mode. Chrome always shows tabs at the top of the screen. But if you browse to youtube for example, there is a possibility to make a video fullcreen, so the browser seems to be able to display content as fullscreen. So I thought the roon display could also offer a fullscreen mode. Is this possible?
Or, does anybody know an android browser with fullscreen mode?

Thanks,
Boris

I love the new display feature… I’m enjoying Roon now on my ROCK system, with CC Ultra as a display:

Awesome!

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hi, I´m using the Android App called Tasker+AutoTools (Web Display event) to have Roon Web Display in total full Screen. Configuring it is not 100% easy, takes some minutes, but once done, it works perfectly (and is beautiful).

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, I will try that!

1 Like

It might relate to the capabilities of your browser platform / version

3 posts were split to a new topic: Roon “Display” no updating screen when going from Real-Time Lyrics to Internet Radio

Thx for Display feature, working great on Shield TV

No useful feedback - just a note to say that I like the display feature. Makes any browser enabled device useful again. Also means you can have a display on a remote or core while still actually having the controls available in the main Roon screen. Great for multi-monitors and the like!

Not to beat a dead horse, but definitely glad to see the Roon team still working on UI upgrades. That’s the fun stuff for me…

3 Likes

The Displays feature is very promising as most homes now have Ultra HD 4k plus screens so a very timely introduction. I look forward to displaying cover art and more with future releases. For now though, the opportunity to display track lyrics is most welcome.
Before I buy Chromecast Ultra I thought I would use the embedded Firefox browser that is standard with my 12 month old Panasonic TV.

However, despite following instructions, Roon doesn’t see the device (although the TV Firefox browser shows a Room screen) and yet for all other compatible PC and Mac devices (Chrome and Safari) on my network there isn’t a problem.

Any ideas?

My feedback:

• great family friendly feature!
  • please update translation database so that we can translate the new screens
1 Like

@kursaal Thanks again, it works! :sunglasses:

1 Like

You welcome! That´s great! Tasker is really powerfull, isn´t it? :wink: Cheers

For some reason on my Chromecast 2 the timed lyrics don’t transition smoothly (I don’t see them moving at all, just being replaced awkwardly), as if the Chromecast doesn’t have the processing power to pull it off.
On my Xiaomi Mi Box, which acts as a Chromecast, it’s as smooth as butter.

Have you not web browser extension as that offers this already albeit not as nice for browsing as the Roon UI. I agree though a proper room remote via a browser would be great.

Community extensions (and the whole extension ecosystem actually) aren’t the answer imo.

@hifi_swlon & @CrystalGipsy - I wonder what the use case for a browser based remote actually would be if there’s a native UI available for a platform. If not, it might be worth a try to run the apk in Chrome if Chrome is available on that platform (and one doesn’t mind using Chrome - no idea if Chromium would work too).

The metadata license for the Allmusic stuff most likely forbids to provide easy extraction so a browser based interface would always be a limited experience compared to the native UI.

Give credit where it’s due:

I just hooked up a second screen to my roon core and output to a web display. First time I actually used the web display for more than a few seconds on my desktop. WOW, it looks really good, and then the scrolling lyrics! Very cool!

HOWEVER, yes, there appears to be an image scaling problem with the artist image in the web display. It cuts off the top of the image quite often.

UPDATE: So I have this matrix HDMI switcher like they use in sports bars to show different games on different screens (my ideal man cave is a combo of the bridge of the starship Enterprise with the comfort of an Amsterdam coffeeshop). 4 screens hooked up to that.

So now…I have artist image/album image/lyrics up on 4 places in the man cave. And can still have the main Roon control on the touch screen monitor.

Browser display makes for really nice eye candy. Just need to stop chopping off the artist’s heads!

I want to home icon & full screen display, on iOS

add the following to the head tag

apple-mobile-web-app-capable
apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style
apple-touch-icon
3 Likes

The non-Ultra Chromecasts have a rather weak CPU and GPU and we were unable to get the full version of the display code working without instability for release. We’re working on optimizations for a future release that should improve performance across all devices and get the Chromecast 1/2 much closer to everything else in terms of visual effects and performance, but it currently looks like we’ll still have to tone it down a little for these devices.

2 Likes

different approaches as for cropping images -you’ll never find right pic for both cases