Build 943 crashes when accessing the settings menu [Solved: Update to Build 970]

Thank you… I will let it run for a while and try again. I do not ever recall having a major issue like this with an update, and I have used Roon for many years.

There is something weird going on. I just now updated the Roon App on an old MacBook Pro I sometimes use as Remote. Updated fine and didn’t crash when selecting the Settings menu… The problem doesn’t seem to be widespread. Otherwise we’d have seen a deluge of messages on the board.

I have installed the app on various apple devices on hand, laptops, iPads and iPhones and have not experienced any issues across 6 devices.

You’re not alone :slight_smile:

So, this seems to be an issue with the latest update. It is time for Roon Support to jump in here and address this.

It is not just the iOS version, but also the Windows version that exhibits this problem. And honestly, this is a huge issue… it either needs to be fixed or the update rolled back now.

2 Likes

Hi @Randy_Myers,

Thank you for reporting this issue, and I’m sorry you’re experiencing a crash as well. The tech support team is investigating, and I’ll report back with next steps as soon as we have more information. I appreciate your patience in the meantime.

3 Likes

@connor, I got home, fired up the remote on my Macbook and the crash went away on its own :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed it stays this way.

2 Likes

Is there a roll back option?

Unfortunately no, there is no rollback option.

Also experiencing a similar issue using my Amazon Fire tablet as a remote.

Since Build 943 the roon app, on my Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet, freezes whenever I attempt to access “Settings” from the drop-down menu. Have to perform a forced restart of the tablet in order to regain control over it.

1 Like

That is too bad, because issues like this do occasionally occur. Roon techs are usually on top of it, but it would be nice to be able to roll back until the issue is actually resolved.

Hi @jb76,

Thank you for reporting this as well. I appreciate your patience as we pin down the problem, and we should have more information shortly.

1 Like

Same for me. Crash when I click on the settings only on the machine where the core is running (on windows 10 enterprise LTSC version 1809). On the other endpoints (android and win10 home all updated to 943) I can enter the settings normally

So far this seems to be working. Thanks.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that suggestion did not fix my issue with the settings menu button.

same problem here … Any update when the issue will be fixed?

I upgraded ROCK today and the client on my old MacBook Pro (2013 I think) running Big Sur. Trying to access Settings just closed the app with no error message. Tried it a few times then rebooted the Mac, but this made no difference.
Tried it again a few hours later and the problem seems to have disappeared.

I needed to access Setting because updating one of my RoPieee endpoints caused it to disappear from Roon. It needed reenabling to be visible. Not looking forward to doing the other five tomorrow.

That’s exactly my experience. Except that in my case the 2013 MacBook Pro running Big Sur didn’t show the problem, but the 2012 iMac running Catalina. And yes, if Roon app keeps running for 10-15 minutes, the problem goes away. I experienced the same problem for a second time yesterday, after a power outage which took both my Roon Core server and the iMac off the grid without proper shutdown. When recovering from the outage and turning back on the apps, Roon on the iMac crashed once again on trying to access the ‘Settings’ menu. And once again the problem went away after 10-15 minutes…

But if I simply close Roon app on the running iMac and then open the app again, the problem doesn’t manifest itself. Weird…

Edit: If closing Roon app on the affected Mac for a long period (over night), the problem returns when opening the app again next morning. But, as before, after some time it goes away.

BTW, I am looking forward not only to a fix for this problem, but rather an explanation of what was at fault… out of sheer curiosity…

For a solution approach, one more observation:

Under Manjaro, my Wine GUI also crashes under certain conditions.

1. i use a large database
  2. the Linux server is in autostart.
  3. the Wine GUI is started before the server has read and completed everything.

After 10 or 15 minutes, the problem no longer occurs.

During the startup phase, something seems to overlap and interfere with each other. Of course, this is only noticed by every customer who also always restarts.

If I start the Wine GUI before the server, the crash problem does not occur either.

1 Like

It crashes when clicking on settings here also after the update? :frowning: .My controller is a Microsoft Surface running Windows 11.
It was all fine before this update.