Building a roon bridge/endpoint device that performs as well as SOTM 200 ultra?

Hey everyone I was enjoying my PC (as roon core), modem/router -> ethernet-> SOTM 200 ultra (powered with sps 500) -> dx usb -> DAC setup for almost a year before my SOTM 200 ultra stopped working. I am trying to get it fixed now.

In the mean time I started considering other streamers like bdp2/3, u1 mini etc.

But I saw some diy videos about building custom music servers with a fanless design. Also installing ROCK for intel nuc.

So my question is, is it possible to build a roon bridge/endpoint device, whether its custom and fanless or simply an intel nuc with a really good PSU that is cheaper but as good as something like an sotm 200 ultra?

Thanks.

It is easily possible to build or even buy something you might enjoy as much. However a lot of what you are doing is jumping through hoops to accommodate your DAC. I presume it’s pretty good. However I’d be looking at a single box streaming solution, Ethernet in, analogue audio out.

1 Like

IMO, yes. I just did something similar: went from fancy streamer to fanless NUC. I’m using Windows 10, because I want a couple of playack options in addition to Roon, but I think this setup is just as good.

There are some nice fanless NUCs - custom builds - also offered on the market. Yes, it will cost you more, but you get something that works and looks nice. Fanless PCs with heatpipes are a bit of a pain to build. If that, doesn’t bother you, go for it.

Something cheap to stand in for your sotm 200 ultra could be a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (~$35 plus PSU), and RoPieee. Or, you could just temporarily move your PC/Core and connect it directly to your DAC via USB.

While i haven’t heard the Ultra my own sMS-200 was replaced by an Allo USBridge. I preferred the USBridge and i can hardly distinguish any differences between it and the Asus Tinkerboard SBC. Id also recommend trying out the Raspberry Pi4 which has proper ethernet and USB buses. I haven’t done any critical listening but initial tests didn’t reveal any drawbacks.

The Ultra is a definite step up, especially if you pair it with the tX-USBultra and sPS-500 as I did. This setup replaced the Allo USBridge in my system. The USBridge with dual power supplies sounded very nice and is a worthy endpoint or NAA. Here is a photo of my USBridge build. A couple of items that are not required are the soft start and fiber/ethernet FMC.

Impressive build! :slight_smile: And i’m sure it improves on both the sMs-200 and the USBridge.
However, an sMS-200 Ultra with txUltra USB and their sPS-500 does cost about five or six times what you pay for an USBridge!
And for those money i made my choice to go with the Auralic Aries G1 (or Lumin D1 for that matter).

There are, as always, many ways to skin a cat! :smiley:

Yes, the G1 is a nice streamer, my buddy uses one. Unfortunately they refuse to support HQPlayer, which is a shame, and one reason I went the SoTM route.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.