By-track, by-album or output device DSP settings

There are two stages of DSP in this ask:

1- Current end-point-linked DSP stage: It is used for room correction, etc. It applies universally to all music being played to that end-point, and rightfully so as it is tuned to the speakers/room/etc

2- The per-track DSP stage: This is DSP that would get applied prior to routing to the endpoint and would correct for track anomalies like the ones exemplified elsewhere in this thread

In case this isn’t clear: there will be two DSPs (or more, as you can do today) applied to playback.

1 Like

Good point. In fact, you suggest that this feature should come ‘‘in addition’’ to a global correction curve (that we already have). Also, by album DSP setting shall include resampling algorithm : some are better for pop, some are better for Chamber music etc… this will never change.

I’m here because I was searching for this feature. Naturally, I whole-heartedly support the feature request. In any case, reading through the thread, I remembered this from the liner notes of Nirvana’s In Utero from 1993:

5 Likes

There are 136 posts in this thread, but the feature has only 5 votes. If you really want this feature, please vote for it.

2 Likes

Good point!!! As often as I post, I didn’t notice there was a VOTE button!

1 Like

This is similar, in the same vein.

I’d love to see this conditional DSP based on tags, file format or whatever use case you can imagine.

This is a little different as it is automatic upsampling based on more precise criteria. I think the quoted ask (upsampling only lossy files) is easier to implement as the process and GUI components already exist.

I comment on this because I don’t want the two use-cases conflated.

I just want to get my view on here for the record. For me this feature suggestion is far from,

I think track-by-track DSP (other than perhaps a level correction) sounds more like a gimmick than a useful improvement for the way I use Roon. My own preference is for fidelity to the source, with whatever global tweaks suit my overall needs. I have set up convolution for room correction in my main listening room. If I were to vote for an additional DSP feature, it would be Zone-convolution. I believe, based on data I find in my gut, this would be more generally useful than would the feature you suggest – a feature for the “at-home DIY would-be remastering engineer” set.

That’s my two-cents. Of course, YMMV.

1 Like

I would definitely like to associate a saved DSP setting with low resolution material or particular Live Radio stations. One of my favourite radio stations is broadcast in low quality and has a touch of sibilance that I like to tame. But turning it on and off is a pain.

4 Likes

Hundreds of Post On this Topik and still no Statement from the Roon Team…
Just for Information, in JRiver it is working perfect, track by track DSP settings, as well as settings for Album….
Greetz
UweS

2 Likes

No statement is the statement: NO

Bumping this cuz… WHY NOT?

Please go to the top of this post and VOTE if you want this.

1 Like

Right, there is potential: 22 posting users and only 15 voters. So everybody, please vote …

1 Like

I would find it useful to allow individual Filter settings to be stored song based, or at least album based.

Are there any efforts in this direction or would this function be interesting for others?

I personally listen to a lot of different music, and especially music from the 70s and 80s. Back then, sound engineers seem to have either different listening habits or the monitor systems were just bad or bass heavy. So a lot of these recordings sound thin. So you don’t have to listen to every music with a preset filter set, a button to save on song/album level would be great.

Maybe something like this could be realized?

Vote above please.

I did not mean correction of room acoustics nor correction of loudspeakers, I meant correction of WRONG mixed music material due to BAD acoustics or MONITORING during record sessions and master mix. In former days there was at least a bass and a treble control at amplifiers. Someone began teaching us that it sounds better without. Today there are extremely expensive speakers and units in the market to correct inherent faults - no discussion any more that it sounds poor. Music is for enjoyment and meditation and does not have to be heard according to any rules that someone sets up. Everyone hears and feels differently. Let’s not restrict this freedom too!

1 Like

That is what this thread is about: correcting or tweaking the recording itself, not room acoustics. The example I gave above was the 80s tendency to remove bass from the masters - probably because bassy recordings would not sound well on walkmans.

2 Likes

I should reiterate what I said somewhere above: This feature is not necessarily trivial to implement as the DSP implementation seems to be tied to an endpoint - ie post endpoint-routing - vs what we are asking here which applies to all endpoints - ie needs to be applied pre endpoint-routing. Depending on how Roon is coded, this could be relatively easy or complex.

BUMP IT BABY! Really, why is this not a thing?