By-track, by-album or output device DSP settings

Album based DSP whether through tagging (as in JRiver) or some other way is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Not only because some albums require custom parametric eq. but more importantly DSD files do not play AT ALL in their native DSD formats with phase aligned Convolution filters. Having to convert every DSD file to PCM so that it can play with your hard earned room correction is a BUG, not a missing feature IMHO. I am not renewing my membership until this gets done.

Blockquote

Not sure what your setup is, but you surely can have Roon convert DSD files on the fly.

I have a DSD512 capable DAC and many DSD512 albums. I didn’t pay the premium for them to downsample them. I turn off all DSP manually every time they are in the play que and then switch them back on for flac files. Actually I used to, now I’m back to JRiver

To clarify, as there are no convolution filters for DSD files, one needs the ability to selectively turn off DSP for them.

Yes, understood. Thank you. And yes you would benefit from this feature obviously.

2 Likes

Hi,

As per this thread - By-track or by-album DSP settings - #98 by miguelito I would like to see the ability to store DSP settings on a track by track basis.

Probably due to my DVD drive which I used to rip tracks having an offset which wasn’t taken into account by the ripping software (i’ve now moved to dBPowerAMP for ripping) some of my tracks have the left and right channels reversed.

So if there was the ability to set the DSP to reverse the channels (as I can now) and remember that setting, it would make life so much easier in not having to keep turning on and off DSP settings :slight_smile:

I should clarify, its not just the DSP to reverse the channels but all DSP settings configured by a user per track

1 Like

Firstly, I am a strong supporter of track-based DSP settings. Like I said, I don’t think this is a trivial thing for Roon to implement given that (I think) DSP is applied after endpoint routing.

As for your particular issue, what I would recommend is that you transcode those tracks into new tracks with appropriate channel assignments. I don’t know what software would allow you to do that, but surely there’s something out there.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem like a Roon OS thing. It’s really a Roon 2.0 thing, isn’t it?

You can very easily invert the stereo channels using audacity (and it is for free). Just open the file, click on the left panel on “invert stereo channels” and export the file using the format of your convenience.

Agreed, posts split out to the referenced topic.

Miguel, so many thanks you keep this requirement alive! In my opinion it would be a killer feature for all music lovers who don’t want to follow the personal taste of the recording engineer, his equipment and room conditions. Even it was in 60s, 70s, 80s or today. Even today most studios are working with room correction devices / software (so mix quality has become much more better in average) there are recordings, which are not my taste of a well balanced sound. So the possibility of that feature will me lock in to Roon possibly for my whole life. Then, the DSP settings once made and linked to my songs in the Roon database would be a huge treasure. Beyond this, there is imaginable, that you can search and use DSP settings from other users. Even to make it easy or to find out new colors of sound. Even professional sound engineers do that in their studios. May you watch HiFi aus Sicht des Tontechnikers - Workshop/Tutorial (The Soundphile) - YouTube. (On german :wink:

Hi Miguel. I know this is off topic, but I have that Genesis album on CD, early pressing from the 80s. Now, I’ve found that a lot of early releases of CDs from the 80s, 90s era sound better than the remasters that followed, due to dynamic range compression.

Tidal, unfortunately, usually has the newer ‘remasters’, and while quite a few of the Tidal versions of my CDs sound worse (Thriller, Graceland, Invisible Touch, to give 3 examples), unusually, and interestingly, Genesis (Kids shapes) album sounds loads better on Tidal than the original CD! It has a lot of the bass you’re searching for…

Just thought I’d let you know.

Anyway… I’m all for Album based DSP, in fact… I started a thread about it a while ago… it’s not as popular as this thread though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Dan. Yes, I agree with you that many remasters are worse than the original release. But it is also the case that many releases from the 80’s seem to have been mastered with little bass, possibly to make them sound ok in things like Walkmans and such (I actually call it “Mastered for Walkman”).

In this particular case, this is a version of the Genesis album done pretty carefully on SACD. I actually ripped this SACD with my Sony PS3 (which I bought and exclusively use for SACD ripping). I think the balance of the recording is pretty close to the original release.

1 Like

There’s quite a few 80’s releases that are light on bass… they went through a ‘clinical’ phase around the time DDD recordings came on the scene.

Another example is Welcome To The Pleasuredome. Really well produced, by Trevor Horn… a bit light on bass though…! :slightly_smiling_face:

I support this demand, but in another way (which is not incompatible with other) : being able to memorize the upsampling filter type on album basis, or in composition basis. For classical music, filters are important ; I don’t use same for voices (more precise) than for strings, for example. It seems more easy and less dangerous than other DSP settings.

Let me tag this one again: per-track and per-album DSP. Come on, the engine is already there, the editor too. It can’t be that hard to combine a per-track setting with the per-endpoint setting on the fly, can it? How hard is the math there? Let’s get it done, instead of say, daily mixes.

1 Like

Full Support for this demand. Many use this feature and almost every quality player offer this. DSP settings for track/album.
Why the Roon-Team ignores such a strong demand? More than 100 Answers in this topic.
Greetz
Uwe

1 Like

Listening throuigh my 6k CDs I have noticed, like everybody else might have, that especially lots of POP-CDs from the 80th sound a bit flat when it comes to low frequency performance. Guess this was due to the old way of developing loudspeakers.
Anyway, what would be nice is, to have a couple of DSP-presets available that may easily be selected while e.g. clicking on the device icon bottom right.
And imagine, in an advanced version, to even be able to assign DSP-presets per CD, Genre or e.g. something like “all CDs from the 80th”.

Just an idea :wink:

Cheers…

I like this idea a lot. What do you think about associating one or more tags with a DSP Preset? Roon could then activate the matching preset automatically when playing a track with an associated tag.

Where this breaks down is when folks have zone-specific DSP settings. For example, convolution or PEQ for room correction, Audeze presets, Speaker setup etc. They would not want their zone-specific profile to be clobbered by track-specific settings.

Perhaps this could be solved if Roon allowed stacking DSP presets. Currently, activating a saved DSP preset completely overrides previous DSP settings. There needs to be a way to activate at least two presets at once: zone-specific and tag-associated. Roon would need some kind of container to keep up with these separately so that when a track with a different (or no) tag plays, Roon knows which DSP settings to unload and which to keep.

Actually, looking at the functionality of Roon’s Procedural EQ, it may be able to handle all of the use cases since it includes PEQ. Only missing Convolution, which probably would not be difficult for Roon to add. The Procedural EQ group of operations may be the “container” I’m looking for.

Roon just needs to provide a way to make the association between Procedural EQ operations and the tags that, if present, will activate them.

1 Like

If you bought the CDs at the time or in the early 90s, chances are it was due to the same master tape being used for the CD as was used for the vinyl cutting. These were generally at least 3rd or 4th generation copies of the actual master tape and had a frequency balance suitable for vinyl (bass cut). Many of these CDs were also mastered onto CD at a lower volume than was possible. Finding decent (there is the challenge) remasters of your favourite 80s albums might be a better way forward? You can probably audition them on Tidal/Qobuz before purchase.

Interesting threads: