Bye Nucleus, back to Mac Mini Core

Don’t plan to any time soon. My core is a Synology NAS. I plan on upping to a NUC running ROCK when the data base gets too large for the NAS to handle gracefully, but that does not appear to be happening yet. ROCK uses a Linux kernel, right? So it would be just Linux to Linux. My only contact with Apple is iPad and iPhone running Roon Remote apps, but they play fine with the NAS–no character encoding issues. And I always hated iTunes, a typical artist/album/song Procrustean Bed totally unsuitable for classical.

I’m a fan of Salvant and Furtwaengler, but I don’t think I have anything with special characters ripped yet. My only Furtwaengler is on vinyl and it stays there, as noted in another missive. Actually, come to think of it, Bartok. I’ll have to see how that is handled. Probably fine, and I know I can play it.

Yes, the darn multiple flavors of Unicode UTF-8 (with or without combining diacritics), mixed with HFS+, with CIFS rules folded in for a transfer to an ext3 (or whatever Roon OS is using) filesystem. Quite a stew!

2 Likes

Thanks to the logs and database of another user (who did not post on this thread), we’ve identified an issue. It may not be the only issue at play, but a preliminary fix does resolve this one user’s situation.

It’s not related to codepages, but that was a good guess. It is related to unicode normalization being different on different filesystems by default (good guess @Bill_Janssen!), and when copies were made, the normalization of file paths was changed.

We have the fix in internal testing now, and it’ll roll out in the next quick-fix release assuming all goes well.

6 Likes

This is exciting news, Danny! I’ve sent my logs to Ivan per his request. Hopefully the logs will confirm the bug. I will hold on to my Nucleus till the update in hopes this cures the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.