Cambridge Audio EVO 75 - Roon Stops After Playback

Not sure they are software companies at all that’s the problem. Manufacture is outsourced to China and so is the software development in many cases I suspect.

2 Likes

Well I think that fits in with my comment :wink:
I also think you are correct with your statement.

They have to own the problem and the solution, or reputations are going to go down badly.
Reading the Hegel and Buchardt threads both on and off forums and things are starting to get ugly and voices are raised from users who feel badly let down.

2 Likes

Great to hear…as I believe it is a good product, and the EVO 150 is also a good product, Cambridge is an excellent company, and they certainly care about their products and customers.

Again, I believe I had a defective unit, and thus the reason that it was impossible to definitively diagnose the issue without actually taking the unit apart…which I would leave to the engineers at CA to do.

Fully agree with you comments here. Although some people have had some issues, none seem to be exactly the same as what I was experiencing.

Now that I have had both the EVO and the Uniti Atom, I can honestly say that they are both great, and I like things about both of them, style, function, capabilities and sound. Of course, I still have to give the nod to the Uniti Atom, since I have it now and haven’t had any issues with it.

Not sure I would go that far. As I stated previously, I think I just had a defective unit. I can’t say for sure, but it didn’t seem to be a software issue. The unit and Roon both showed and indicated that the music was continuing to play. There just wasn’t any output to the speakers. I wasn’t going to take the unit apart to do signal testing to see if there was a physical failure, as I would leave that up to the CA engineers.

Since I initially wanted the Naim Uniti Atom, maybe I gave in too early and went to that unit, rather than just letting CA do what they suggested and replace my EVO with a different unit. We won’t know now, at least not from me and my experience. But I don’t promote that I have any less faith or confidence that Cambridge is an excellent company with exceptional products, as their history speaks for itself, and they were certainly willing to make things right for me…had I chosen to take that route.

1 Like

It’s still happening on my Evo 75, although the DXD playback issue appears to have been fixed. @support — I’ll let you know the next time it happens if you want to pull logs.

2 Likes

I have the same problem.At first everything worked perfectly. But now, after a few songs, sometimes just two, the music stops playing.
What’s even more frustrating is that it’s just the sound: The track keeps on playing, but there’s no sound. When I switch to Qobuz via Stream magic, it doesn’t make a difference. The only thing I can do is pulling the plug and switch it on again.

Have you contacted Cambridge Audio support?

No, not yet. But I will contact my dealer asap.

So I finally figured it out. After posting my reply I didn’t have issues for a day or 2, before they started again. For me the reason the Evo crashes is the use of de DSP function ‘Sample Rate Conversion’. Whenever I have it enabled (doesn’t matter if I choose DSD or PCM as output), the Evo is bound to crash. Sometimes after two songs, sometimes after an hour.
For me this is definitely the problem, hope it helps!

Coudn’t find a way to contact Cambridge Audio myself, so I’ve sent a ticket concerning this problem via the dealer.

1 Like

Does that suggest a bug in the Roon Ready or it’s ability to deal with the upscaling of the audio?

I am assuming if you turn it off it’s totally stable?

I can’t say for sure, all I know is that my Evo is has zero problems with Sample Rate Conversion disabled. So it’s indeed totally stable now :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be worth creating a ticket with Cambridge audio as that device could hopefully get a firmware update to fix that behavior.

I agree. At first I couldn’t find the place to create a ticket, but I succeeded.

1 Like

I’m not using sample rate conversion, and alas, the crashes have become much more frequent recently. I need to setup a RPi in place of the Evo 75 and do some network testing to make sure that I don’t have a hardware problem.

I can also confirm that for me, the issue persisted even with NO DSP being used. It was actually one of the first things I changed when trying to resolve the issue.

I also have several playlists where all the songs are at specific Hz and bit rates, so that switching rates could be eliminated as the reason for the issue. But, as I mentioned several times, when the playback stopping occurred, it was in not at the beginning of the song.

Two weeks later… anyone have an update? I don’t have an Evo but following because I would like one but not if Roon doesn’t play nice. Thanks

Yes, I have. Although it only confirms a solution to my problems with DSP.

2 Likes

Brilliant result and in a reasonable timeframe. How did this pass Roon Ready testing though (it shows up quickly, not exactly a hidden fault mode) and are Roon going to change the test procedure to make sure no other units get a pass with such faults?

With the testing being so strenuous now that is a strange one, unless it was broken in a firmware update along the way.

Here it is! Testing right now. Seems to working allright for now.

4 Likes