Cambridge Audio Evo

Yes it had copied it from my watch later and not the link. Updated now

This thread is old, but I got an EVO150 a month or so ago and I’m really liking it.

Prior to it, I was using a Naim Uniti Atom or a Matrix Audio Mini-3 Pro feeding a set of Hypex NCore MP250 amp modules in a DIY case.

I’m driving a set of Quad 2912’s with it, and it’s great. Actually very similar to the mini3 hypex combo. It compares very favorably to the Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2 amp which currently drives a set of 2805’s in my shop.

If anybody has any questions or would like more info, let me know.

Sheldon

3 Likes

The 75 was on my hit list as I am a long time CA user (2 x CXN and DAC Magic 100 right at the start)

The choice fell to (My Headphones are Sennheiser HD800)

CA EVO 75 ,
Sennheiser HDV800 (Headphone Amp) with a RPi /RoPieee (or other) Streamer
Naim Uniti Atom HE

I read a lot before deciding but I couldn’t find any definitive reviews of the EVO headphone amp quality so as a 100% headphone use (for serious stuff) I went Naim (with zero regrets 6 months later). There were however a couple of references to a “less than ideal” headphone amp. Not sure if the 150 follows

Eventually the decision fell to Headphone amp quality , the EVO models would really have been a waste with lots of unused bits , power amp even a phono stage in the 150.

If I was driving speakers I may well have decided differently , I like CA quality , the StreamMagic App is really quite good for a “hardware app” , its better than the Naim app IMHO

As ever in Hi Fi there is only one (expensive) way to find out …

Interesting choice, what made you want to change from the Naim atom?

Well, my Benchmark DAC3 HGC and it’s companion AHB2 amplifier really showed me what an uncolored and really transparent electronics chain is like. If you are unfamiliar with those pieces, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

I use them in my shop driving a set of Quad 2805’s , where I do probably 95% of my listening these days.

I was also playing with the matrix audio mini-3 driving a set of Hypex Ncore amps which are also amazingly good performers. And the sonic differences are really small if they are even there.

What I’ve been finding over the years building my own gear and chasing commercial offerings, is that as distortion goes down and performance goes up, the individual sonic signatures are also reduced.

The fact that I have two different systems with radically different amplification approaches sounding nearly indistinguishable was really interesting to me.

I like the form factor and usability of the EVO150, and I know the amplifier portion very well (Hypex NC252MP), so I knew it was a winner sonically if the digital section was good. And it is.

So back to the Naim, it’s a great piece of gear and sounds quite good. I’d say it’s very similar sonically to the later incarnations of the Nait (which I also have). But it’s not uncolored. I enjoy it and would go back to it if I wasn’t in this transparency mode. That volume control on the top is the greatest thing ever. That alone is worth buying the unit for.

At higher volume levels the Atom can get a little strained sounding (probably because it IS straining), where the EVO exerts complete control over those sandwich wrap speakers at any level. :slight_smile:

With the original Quads, the Atom is magical. The original Quads are less neutral than the modern quads (ESL-63’s and newer), and the Atom pairs nicely. Plus there no issue with the amp straining because the speaker just can’t accept that much power.

This is just my $0.02, your milage may vary.

Sheldon

4 Likes

I picked up an Evo 150 a few months ago and I am super impressed. The software and Roon integration is excellent. But I think I’m most surprised by the quality of the amp.

I love the simplicity of an all-in-one but I was skeptical of the D-Class and was thinking I’d end up using the Evo as a combo Roon endpoint/DAC/preamp and feed it into an Edge W. But the Evo amp performance is so good that I’m currently planning to just keep the all-in-one. Plenty of power to drive my Klipsch Forte speakers and there’s no distortion at any level I can comfortably listen.

Definitely a keeper. I think this is some seriously underrated kit.

4 Likes

Silly queston mate, I’m sure. Have you done HDMI Arc from your telly or is this for audiophile purposes only hence no TV?

I have not used HDMI with my Evo. Mine is setup just for audio. My TV is standalone with a Sonos Arc soundbar.

1 Like