Can I clone my NUC Core

Networking Gear & Setup Details:

Intel NUC i3 with 8 Gig RAM connected directly to Google Fiber router. 2-terabyte SSD with Library connected to NUC via USB.

Connected Audio Devices:

Cambridge Audio CXN-V2; Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 200; three Sonos One speakers via Airplay.

Number of Tracks in Library: 50, 941

Description of Issue

So hopefully I can tap into the wealth of technical knowledge I often see on this forum.
I thought Roon ARC would be the solution to the problem of having to disconnect and bring along my NUC and SSD whenever we went to our cabin in the mountains—and for a while it was. However, during our most recent trip away, we experienced both a power outage and a Google Fiber outage at home. When everything came back up, the Roon core on my NUC did not, which resulted in no Roon access for the two weeks away. It wasn’t a disaster as we have both Tidal and Qobuz, but still a major PITA.

So my question: I have purchased another i5 NUC with enough RAM and internal HD to accomodate my current setup. Is there an easy way to clone my existing setup from my NUC core to the new NUC? Then I can just leave the copy at my cabin and bring the little SSD along on my trips. I know one can only have one core per user account so I wondered if this would present a problem with this kind of setup.

Thanks in advance.

You can copy the music files (if any) to the second core. Make a backup of your primary core and restore it on the secondary. As you know, you can only have one active at a time, but other than that it should work. Of course, if you make any library edits they are local to one core, but you can always make another backup and restore it to the other core.

Backups are only transferable if you use the same Roon license on both cores, alternately, so that seems to be an argument against having 2 licenses.

A NUC with internal SSD is so portable, why don’t you carry it back and forth? I did that for years, although eventually I got lazy and I have two separate cores with separate Roon licenses, with music synchronized by Syncthing. This works because I only edit metadata on the music tracks themselves, not in Roon.

Another option? Creating a secure VPN to be able to access a machine within your network using Tailscale? That way you can remote a machine (if set to restart after power failure), access the server to restart it, etc. of course, this is if you’re happy tinkering?

Backup battery good option?

Startech.com do hard drive cloners. I use one all the time. Copies all data and drive structure in its entirety.
I have clones of my drives so if one fails I can just swap the clone in its place

I’m a happy Tailscale user, but Roon’s IP-multicast-based discovery doesn’t play nice with Tailscale. That is, no reliable way (that I know of) for endpoints or remotes to find and stay connected with a core over Tailscale. Even just having Tailscale on my Pixel phone is enough for it not to be able to find a local Roon core. My hunch is that Roon is just not designed to work with multi-homing.

Sounds good but I literally had to reboot the NUC when I got home–I mean literally press the power switch to get it back up. Not sure how to pull that off remotely.

Renando,
I’ve done this for years and I will again if I have to, but I prefer not to have to disconnect ethernet, power cable, and the USB cables out to other devices, and then reconnect everything upon returning. The current setup is not easily physically accessible so I am looking for an easier workaround. Thanks.

At least for the PCs I own, you need to configure the BIOS to reboot when power returns, by default they’d stay down even after power is restored. I have a NUC on a 3rd location that behaves that way, annoyingly, I have to remember to tweak the BIOS configuration when I’m back there.

1 Like

Follow what Fernando has said. That should help.

I personally have a NUC that’s Hacktonished and I just remote into that to do what I need.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.