Can I Do Better Than The HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro?

I personally don’t understand why one would care with a digital out based device. I really don’t think there’s much difference between them if you’ve got true digital. The only caveat is that I read somewhere that potentially some of the digital solutions don’t have error correction built into the transport - I don’t know how true that is nor do I know why you’d do that considering how comparatively little data you have to send for audio compared to the speed of the connections these days. It seems a little bit like saying you’ll get better picture from a $200 HDMI cable vs $10 HDMI cable, which is simply untrue and that IS a situation where error correction is NOT enabled, seemingly indicating that it would be even less of a concern for audio.

I can’t see how power supply would affect digital out either to be honest. But we can all believe we hear some difference if we try hard enough and that’s where it seems to land for me. But hey, I could be wrong. Going to analogue outs though? That’s a whole different story and I think it’s really important not to get the two confused.

1 Like

Great to have an opinion, why not have a listen as well? Unless you’re an engineer, your “can’t see” is of very little value. Power supplies make a huge difference, it’s not controversial, it’s accepted. Maybe not by flat earthers though. The quality of power supply affects the performance of the components which affects the sound produced.

Thanks Barrow boy for your polite reply. So you’re saying power supplies affect an error corrected digital path before reaching an analogue out? That is surprising to me but as I eluded I’m open to suggestions on that.

Yes I’m an engineer. I’m certified sound engineer, also certified in IT in the areas of software, networks and hardware to name a few. I’ve been doing that for 28 years.

Obviously I’ve listened to many systems as will have many others on here. I probably have a higher than average understanding of how it works though I do not by any means consider myself an expert.

Do you understand how error correction works? I can help with that for purposes of mutual understanding if you like, but maybe you do already. And this is a bit off topic now.

May have been at crossed purposes, apologies. Link to error correction piece would be useful, always interested.

I have the HiFiBerry Digi Pro+ and the HiFiBerry Dac+. But, you know the hat I like the best in regards to sound is the IQAudio Pi-DAC Pro
I didn’t see this one mentioned yet. It even has an option for balanced outputs.

There was an earlier post asking about a good stand for the Pi and 7" screen. This one is very nice choice for the RPi3 that allows room for a hat.
SmartPi Touch

Burr Brown Dac, interesting, I wouldn’t have picked it for a board - I do need to get another one though, so will consider it.