Can I play music on my iPhone from Roon while traveling using a VPN?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Hi @Stephen_Vorenberg,

Using a VPN for Roon playback is not officially supported. If this is something you’re interested in try to get working anyway, I recommend checking out the #tinkering section of this site. Other Roon users have gotten these types of setups to work and you can often find help getting this set up there.

1 Like

Mobile remote streaming (without VPN) has been “on the roadmap” for 3 years now…

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mobile-music-sync-and-streaming-on-roadmap/15249/145

Just saying.

As for using a VPN I am not aware of any success in remote streaming to an iPhone using VPN. The Roon server needs to be on the same subnet as the Roon device, and IOS does not support TAP I believe. I also tried using ZeroTier and ran into the issue of IOS somehow blocking the discovery of the server. There’s a few existing threads in this forum but I can’t find them easily right now.

I haven’t followed latest discussion so I could be wrong, and happy to be disproved. That said, remote streaming on Mac OSX is possible using VPN methods, but I didn’t find it hugely satisfactory though that may have been bandwidth issues.

I got access and playback via VPN working on both my iPhone and iPad by running the VPN software ON my Roon server (Mac mini) and choosing a subset of my main subnet as the VPN DHCP pool (as you note - it has to be on the same subset).

Unfortunately, I recently “upgraded” to Orbi wireless and this functionality went away - I believe it has something to do with the way the router is configured vs. my earlier Apple AirPort Extreme.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.