Can I restore Roon Core to a new PC without a formal backup?

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core was originally on a 2015 iMac (this computer has died; the user library has been backed up)
Roon Core will be installed on a 2023 Mac Mini

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Not relevant to this issue, I don’t think

Number of Tracks in Library

I don’t remember, and don’t have access to the library since the crash. Lots of tracks (X0,000 but less than 100,000)

Description of Issue

The computer that hosted my Roon Core crashed. I had been backing up the User Library (~/Library) along with other items regularly. I examined the backup and I don’t seem to have any folders or files named RoonBackup, so I don’t think I have a backup.

Is there any way to restore this from the files in the User Library without that software-created backup?

If you have not used Roon’s Backup function, then you won’t have a backup of Roon’s database, which holds information such as your device settings, Zones and any edits you have carried out on your library.

It is not possible to reconstruct this from backups of your User Library.

You can certainly set up a new Roon Server (formerly called the Roon Core) on a new Mac, but you will be starting from scratch again to set up your new Roon Library, devices and Zones.

Hi @Robert_Riemersma ,

If you have a backup of the previous ~/Library/ folder, you may be able to salvage some info, though there is no guarantee.

You can try to reinstall Roon fresh on a Mac and then copy the old Roon / RoonServer folders you have saved in your snapshot from the old ~/Library to the new ~/Library folder.

Then try to start Roon and see if it works. If it does, then I would suggest that you make a proper Roon backup as soon as it starts:

You’ll likely have to reconfigure your Zones and Device Settings though.