Can I Tell Roon to Ignore .mp3 files in my library?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 / iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) / Roon 1.8 v764

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eero2 / Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAD 7050D / USB

Description Of Issue

I point Roon at the iTunes library and want to ignore all my son’s mp3 files.

You can create a bookmark that will include only non-MP3 files. Use Focus - Format - and select all the formats except MP3 (or select MP3 and negate that). Alternatively you could arrange your collection so that all MP3 files are in one folder and non-MP3 files are in another (with appropriate sub-folders) and have Roon just include the non-MP3 folder in Settings - Storage.

Hi @Wolf_Knapp,
You can eliminate mp3 files by going Settings > Storage and edit the storage location. Add the following to the very beginning of the “Ignored Paths” line .mp3; and then a space and click on save. I save my changes to the “Ignored Paths” to the beginning so I can see what I did immediately. See example below.

This will remove all mp3’s from your library and you will see the the counter start counting down.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Wow @Stan_Jones and @GoGo_Delicious! Thank you for your prompt replies and great workarounds.

@Wolf_Knapp, I hope one of those options will work for you. Thanks for getting in touch and for your patience while we got a chance to reply - it took us longer than we had hoped :pray: