Can no longer enable my Pro-ject DAC

I am trying to use my Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital with Roon. I have been using it just fine but somehow it got disabled and when I click Enable it gets stuck on “Enabling …” for several minutes and then Roon quits.

My other applications (like the Tidal app) have no problem using my Pro-ject. It is plugged into a USB port on my desktop where the Roon Core is installed. Roon operates my Sonos system just fine. It recognizes the Pro-ject but can’t enable it any more.

Windows 10. Latest version of Roon. I unistalled Roon and reinstalled it, but the same problem. Of course, I rebooted the PC. Since the DAC is working, I am not keen to reset it, but I can if I have too.

Mike Moore

Hi @Michael_Moore1,

Is there any change if you disable the firewall on that machine temporarily?

No change with all firewalls off.

Assume you have pulled the power on the DAC and removed the USB cable then put everything back.

Yes. No help. Still works great with other software.

Hi @Michael_Moore1,

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for that DAC? Any change when doing so?

Do you have any other USB devices you can try as well? It would be helpful to know if it’s limited to the Pro-Ject or if all USB devices are exhibiting the same behavior.

It seems like you have no idea what might be wrong and are just shooting in the dark. Unplug everything, reinstall everything. Very disappointing level of support. It works fine with every other piece of software I have tried. The problem is with Roon only.

Hi @Michael_Moore1,

For issues like this there are a few areas that these problems could stem from, and so ruling out different possibilities is the best way to understand the root cause. We haven’t seen any other reports of this from others with this DAC, and we aren’t able to reproduce this on our end, so we need to understand what about your system is different.

A test like this would definitely be helpful — Knowing if Roon is having trouble interacting with all devices or if it’s just limited to the DAC helps us better understand the issue.

Another option is to try refreshing RAATServer (which Roon uses to communicate with devices completely. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Settings -> Audio settings to factory defaults. We would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have here before doing this:

• Close Roon on the Windows machine
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.