Can Roon Run Without a Graphics Card, Once it is Installed & Configured

I use a headless system running Windows 10 and Roon refuses to install. If I put a graphics card in the system in order to get Roon to install, can I then set up Roon to be headless and remove the card? Or must I keep the graphics card in the system?
Grant

Install the server version…it’s headless.

Details to install RoonServer here. A Linux version is coming in 1.2.

2 Likes

Okay, I guess I needed to be more explicit. I have Roon installed in my main computer. This is a reasonably powerful Asus build with 32GB of memory, an Intel i7, a Samsung SSD and a 4TB music drive. This is running Dirac and Jplay and integrates Tidal. My main audio system has a custom built Media PC with a Supermicro MB using a Xeon processor, a SoTM PCI USB card feeding a Berkley Alpha USB adapter which connects to a Devialet D250 driving Avantgarde Duo speakers. I wish to serve the main system to the primary music system with the Devialet. If I install Roon server on the Supemicro system, won’t that want to become the primary Roon instance? I hope this is clear, if not, please fire away.

Grant

At the moment you can only control outputs connected to a Remote from that Remote. Every Remote, however, can control any output connected to the Core.

So currently, you need to have RoonServer as Core on your Media PC and Roon as Remote on your main computer for your preferred architecture. You could also control the Media PC from a tablet.

If you wanted to run Roon or RoonServer as Core on your main computer at the moment, then you would have to connect to the Devialet either directly or by some RoonReady device such as a SonicOrbiter SE or Auralic Aries.

After 1.2 and the release of RoonBridge, you will be able to run RoonBridge on the Media PC which will enable you to control it’s outputs from your main computer (either Roon or RoonServer) as Core and any Remote including a tablet.