Can someone explain RoonBridge?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but here goes: Weeks ago, my son set up RoonRemote on his desktop computer and uses it to listen to music from the server on the network (running RoonServer). That’s what he tells me anyway. But isn’t that just what RoonBridge does?

If your son wants to control the music from this desktop, then you’re set up correctly.

You can install RoonBridge on that computer if you don’t want, need, or can’t install Roon Remote on it. Music to this computer would be controlled from another Remote.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg. I think I get it. Am I correct in thinking–I may have read this–that the computational demands are pretty minimal, so that I could get a really cheap computer–low-end headless NUC, with, say, a 32 GB hard drive–and output audio to my office or bedroom? Is that the idea?

We wrote an article on our knowledge base about RoonBridge, check it out here.

Hi Jim,

Yes, one of the main goals of RoonBridge is to enable network zones to lower powered devices that can’t run Roon. That includes Linux based devices like Raspberry Pi, CuBox, BeagleBone Black, WandBoard etc. (these have no hard drives, the OS is on an SD micro card), but also anything that can run Windows 8.1 up or OS X.

Check out the IQAudiO line of products (see the section in Outputs) for a well regarded inexpensive hi-fi solution to other areas of the house.

When I try to open roonbridge dmg the first time on my Mac I get the usual warning about opening downloaded software. I acknowledge this and place the file in my Applications folder, but when I double click it to open the app, nothing happens. Is it running in background?

It is running in the background, but you should see a small icon in OS X’s menu bar (top right). There you can also activate Launch at startup, if so desired. The zone itself should now be visible in Roon’s audio settings.