Can’t enjoy music I don’t own

… I’ve always had problems enjoying music I don’t actually own. It started when everyone was burning music to mp3 and everybody suddenly had a huge music collection of x100 CDs… I could never take their collection seriously and stuff I had on burned CDs ended up in the garbage can… all the way to Tidal… yes - it’s okay to listen into new music with Tidal but as soon as I actually like an album I want to own it and I’ll actually do anything to avoid hearing it before I have it in my collection because I don’t want it to be worn out before…

Used to be Vinyl…Roon has opened up digital again for me though… but still, if I like it I need to buy a good download or even the CD and rip it to the NAS… ( Roon actually opened up the CDmarket again 4 me - even used CDs as with dBpoweramp I can get a perfect rip )

… anyhow… I can’t just add it from Tidal… just doesn’t feel right for me…

Anyone else with similar issues… life-troubling stuff… I know… :slight_smile:

Cheers,

12 Likes

I have no problem enjoying music on Tidal. I do own it in a way since I am paying $20 a month for it.

2 Likes

Me too. Don’t feel comfortable renting. Another reason for Qobuz integration.

4 Likes

Interesting. How do you feel about listening to live music, I wonder?

Love it - go to concerts almost weekly and I usually try buying vinyl directly from the merch if I don’t already have it… mostly I already have the stuff I see in concert in my collection though…

It’s easy to enojoy good music I don’t own. I am paying to rent and am committed to that, so it’s my right to enjoy it.
I attend live gigs and volunteer at a venue. I also buy merch at gigs. I even stream music I own.
We properly record our shows and am happy to enjoy private bootlegs too.

Yes but I do feel there’s a distinction; you cannot permanently ‘own’ a live performance whereas a physical recording buys a sense of permanence.
Roon helps bridge that gap for me.

2 Likes

How about TV shows? You watch but don’t own them.

2 Likes

Sure. Also I have Kindle so I rent books. I think Roon is great and rent music. So yeah I guess I’m a convert but an interesting short lived topic nevertheless.

The line is becoming more and more blurred I must admit.

Lately i’ve found myself dabbling more and more with streamed content I must admit. Oddly I find it much easier to invest in Qobuz listening than Tidal. Completely irrational I know, but I have been flitting between the 2 service and invariably listen more to Qobuz than Tidal. I tend to duplicate collections the streaming service which I own on CD or HDD. Mostly listening on good portable devices. Roon is getting far less of a listen lately as a result. But listening to new content… now there’s a thing. I really struggle, like you, to favourite it on streaming and not own at least an HDD copy.

Yepp - different thing for me… TV shows don’t touch me quite the way music does and I usually only watch a show once and then that’s that… though I also have a rather large collection of BluRays and DVDs… but somehow with movies and Series it’s a different thing… not as intense an urge to own… I can easily get a movie for rent… different thing with music though…

1 Like

This how I see things … a couple of years ago I thought I’d never stream music. Then came Roon+TIDAL and now I have the biggest library imaginable in my study! Who would walk into a library and not enjoy a book?

I am listening to so much new music now I couldn’t possibly justify buying everything I thoroughly enjoy let alone all that I listen to over the course of a month.

6 Likes

Shall I say it? Hmmmm … ok… It’s the only way I can get hold of MQA files also. That’s added value from Tidal for me… :wink:

4 Likes
3 Likes

The problem comes when the streaming operator changes their mind. I’m (or was) a FilmStruck subscriber, and now I’m buying Blu-Rays.

1 Like

This no longer bothers me. Streaming is the future …

1 Like

I can relate to this. I used to find it hard to appreciate dodgy copied computer games, an essential part of fun experience and commitment was buying the boxed product.

For music I also feel similar, I still enjoy it when streamed, but having it on my NAS makes it feel more permanent. Looks like this phenomenon is studied in the psychology of ownership - e.g https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c6b6/a4c0264fb5a58edbe8ffe2dde9c03de332fa.pdf

2 Likes

Renting is great. I just checked and I have over 500 MQA titles in my Roon library that I am enjoying. Most of them are of CDs I already own and I also have a fair portion of those in vinyl too. So “renting” is saving owning them for a second or third time and I don’t feel at all guilty about that.

As far as the new music I’m enjoying much of that I doubt I would have taken the risk of buying. I could use a free service to try before I buy at lower quality but could still only enjoy a much smaller amount of music at its best.

So say you find an Album on Tidal and it’s absolutely amazing and Tidal has the MQA Version… would you still buy it on Vinyl or High Res?

I’ve also been going down this path. Used CDs can often be had quite cheaply, and ripping checksums ease all worries about scratched discs. Having a few excellent local used CD shops helps a lot too.

2 Likes