Can’t enjoy music I don’t own

I’m in the same club. Not because “I can’t enjoy …” but because

1. I prefer the flexibility of having all the bits under my control, whether I am at home, on a transcontinental flight, or driving to the mountains without reliable wireless connection.
  2. Lots of the music I listen to is not on popular streaming services.
  3. When possible, I prefer to get more of what I pay for music to artists, which is why I patronize Bandcamp, ArtistShare, and the like, and buy the CDs artists sell at gigs.
4 Likes

For me streaming can never replace owning because the Record Company can and will change the streams, it is only a matter of time. They will remaster music usually for the worse all the time and then that new remaster becomes the only version you can listen to with streaming.

4 Likes

Yep got no contol about which version/release I get. Something I watch carefully when going for a vinyl since there’s better and poorer ones, at least if multiple publishers offer the same album.
Streaming is if ever nice for a preview … and one must make up his mind if it’s essential to have a preview in hires or not.

1 Like

So it is - simply feels so much more comfortable to have/own the Music you love. Also I really like the thought of having a big music library/collection that belongs to me… be it Vinyl, CD and/or sitting on a NAS… the flexibility of playing with the different media types is also great.

This about summarises it for me. Most importantly I’d feel better if I knew artists were getting a fair deal from streaming. After that having access to the best master is important. Neither of these criteria are currently satisfied so I’ll stick to buying.

2 Likes

I wholly agree. For me CD:s of classical music with the accompanying booklet are artworks in themselves. Nowadays I usually download CD:s but keep the original structure in folders together with the booklet and cover. Occasionally I buy box; all Callas live recording, all Callas studio recordings, for instance. I am not at all keen on streaming.

Interesting conversation. I used to stream as a youth. Back then, it was called radio and the price of admission was advertising. Plus, I couldn’t choose what music to stream, other then genre. Today, I just pay a fee; I can direct to the music I prefer (including the joy of discovery); and I don’t have to listen to crummy adverts. How times change!

6 Likes

I can’t, since Tidal lists new releases without a genre. And if you played 10 of these which didn’t match a bit more downwards in their software you then get an additional “since you listened…” bunch of stupid recommendations.

Happens when programmers do think they had a clever idea … this most rarely happens.

Edit:
And this is (radio) what made me collecting music, since when station realised that the could make money with adverts they simply modified their coverage to match the masses since that made it really pay. Result you could listen to the same title 20 times a day.

1 Like

I explore stuff on Tidal and add it to my library. If I really like it and want to own it then I buy it on vinyl. It’s a bonus that at least some of the labels are providing free downloads of flac and not just mp3 when you buy the vinyl so I’ll grab that as well.

I do enjoy streaming for the convenience. I use Tidal for the CD quality and that was always the reason for me to not use streaming services because of mp3 quality. I also have my own digital library of more than 4000 albums.

I do not buy CD’s anymore, but what I do buy is Box Sets. In some cases a total rip off, but that is a different topic.

What I do notice in my listening habbit is that I am less patient? In the time of Vinyl, I listend to one side of a record and after that maybe the other side or another record. But now I flip thru the tracks and albums as if it where TV channels.

Way to Go :+1::blush::v:

Ironically this is exactly why I like listening to vinyl more if I have the opportunity. I like the ritual of putting one on, having to listen to the full side in order, etc. I usually listen to the full album when I put one on. In the age of anything instant all the time, I think it’s a nice break.

I like exploring Tidal’s library and checking out new releases. I occasionally add albums to the Roon library to flesh out or add variety to radio play.

But I’m not attached to it. I assume some of the albums will go away someday, or the whole thing. If I really like something or feel it’s historically significant enough that it should be in my permanent library I buy the download or CD.

(It’s also nice when friends are over and they say “have you heard the new album by so and so” or “do you remember that song by such and such” I can dial it up and play it right there on the spot.)

Edit to add: It’s frustrating that more and more CDs and downloads (and Tidal titles) are only available as “remasters” that are frequently (usually?) of inferior sound quality as compared to the original releases. These kids today, I swear!

If you pick a genre first, then scroll down, you will see new releases for just that genre.

That’s a mindset thing and facilitated by convenience. I still listen to albums unless I’m in the mood for listening to specific songs or nothing in particular in which case I put Roon Radio in the driving seat.

In 1982 I was very happy with the invention of the CD because I never had to flip over a record again,.never had to clean them anymore. As it turns out I was even more happy 15 years ago when I ripped al my CD to my PC. Getting rid of the physical carriers felt like a big relief. Since then my cd’s and vinyl albums are somewhere in the garage. Never looked at them ever since. No more cheap plastic boxes lying around. all music searchable and organized and allways at hand. Never had any nostalgic feeling with either Vinyl, nor CD’s or any other physical medium.Maybe with some mix tapes someone made for me but other then that completely none. I also don’t see any reason why a music player should present an album like it where a real physical album either. I do have a strong emotional attachement with the music itself though but it is exactly the same music to me wether it resides on my harddisk or is streamed from Tidal or wherever it resides. Today I couldn’t be more happier that streaming has become mainstream. I don’t rip CD’s anymore.

10 Likes

But, is it? Take for example the case of Genesis. In the 80s, round1 of CDs, in the early 90s, round 2 remaster ( a bit more compression but essentially the same), then in 2007, the catalog was remixed by Tony Banks, who took liberties in deciding to bring certain keyboard elements to prominence and reduce or remove guitar passages as he was in a snit with Steve Hackett. Result is the 2007 remix/remaster sound nothing like the original vinyl, CD 1 or even CD 2 re-issues. Yet that is all you can hear on streaming services. So, if you grew up listening to one version of The Lamb Lies Down and you relied only on streaming services, you’d never hear the same music again.

5 Likes

Got me worried then … just checked my CD and it’s the 1994 release (I never owned the vinyl, just a copy on tape that’s long gone.) Btt you’re right, TIDL only has the 2007 release.

I bet you can still sing along? :crazy_face:

What I mean is that I do not have to own music on a physical carrier for it to become “my music”
I still have a collection though, it just does not reside on any physical carrier. Something becomes “my music” because I have an auditive attachement with it, not a visual or physical. Most of the time I even don’t want to see a picture of the people who make the music either because I have my own imagination and associations with what I hear. Listening to music is like reading a book or watching art. I don’t have to know the writer or the artist, in fact most of the time it helps not to know him/her, to enjoy the book or the artwork.

In your case of remixes, remastering it should be enough to have one copy of the original on your hardrive, there is (at least in my case) not any reason why I should also have it on CD, Vinyl or whatever medium since the one and only way I play music is via my music PC, my laptop or my phone. Regarding remasters, yes they are not allways for the better but for many album I don’t even notice because my playback system has changed so much over the years between the original and the remasterd versions that it sounds better anyhow. If I allready have the original I might prefer it, if it’s a new album to me I’m not going to dig after the best sounding copy. I’m not the kind of music lover that has Dark Side of The moon in all its 73 different releases, that’s not the kind of attachement I have to music, not at all. One version is enough, because the essence of the music itself is still the same on every release.

2 Likes

Goes both ways. Sometimes a remaster is an improvement (technical, clarity of mix, artistic intent — vide Tom Waits). If you insist on owning, then you have to buy it again, or more likely you never hear of it.