Can’t enjoy music I don’t own

So you’re investing in the owners of the ‘intellectual property rights’ -not always the artist(s) btw.

A shrink may be in order. :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t have any Guilt, you paid your Dues. Just enjoy 24/96 streams. I know I do, a lot of us have walked away from thousands of albums, cd, 100’s of hours of R to Reel disc.

1 Like

Quite right, over the decades we’ve paid 10’s of 1000’s of dollars into the industry. Probably 100x what most people pay. Heck, most people are even satisfied with the free spotify ad-driven spotify account, or streaming tracks from u-tube.

The current business model maybe not ideal, but no reason to feel guilty :slight_smile:

I used to be like Christoph-having to own my own music. I have been collecting recorded music for nearly 60 years-been through the whole gamut of 78s, LPs, tapes, cassettes, CDs, Downloads and now Roon/Tidal.
I have loved every step of the way. I also love toys like DAPS, DACS, IEMs, Headphones, owning multiple versions of all.
Since Tidal and Roon, whilst happy to pony up over $20 per month (cheaper than a cup of coffee), I am also happy to listen seriously to Tidal as an adjunct to my own collection.

5 Likes

I’m pickin’ up what you’re layin’ down!

Christoph, I’m with you on this.

1 Like

Never thought it would happen but I have actually bought a few downloads from Qobuz instead of Vinyl recently… especially when the Pressing is not top notch or there’s only terrible sounding picture discs available… so yes, downloading (especially high es) has become an additional alternative… also some music seems to be exclusively releasedas download…

1 Like

What I never looked into, are there any restrictions upon such digitial purchases or are you entitled to do anything which is allowed if purchasing a vinyl?
For example is it allowed you lend over the tracks to a friend? The files not a copy which is surely illegal.

Digital copyright laws are different in each country.

Highly unlikely with the streaming remuneration model.

Tidal limit 10000, long way off yet

CD rips and Hi-Res downloads sound better played from my Innuos server than they do from Tidal. I also think MQA files sound flat and overly filtered, though I admit I don’t decode the final piece with a Meridian DAC. Perhaps I’m not hearing the full benefit, but I’m not buying into their system!

You don’t need a Meridian DAC for full MQA but you do need an MQA certified DAC. It’s great knowbody needs to buy into it.

MQA doesn’t sound flat here… far from it, it can be all enveloping …

I have a daughter who is trying to make it as a singer. Has released 3 songs (no albums and no discs). Streaming (Tidal, Apple, et al) make it close to impossible for her to make any money, there are so many zeros AFTER the decimal point. Gigs is the only way she can make a few bucks - very few.

That said, it is still the way I find new music and unlike others, I find the quality to be as good as what I get from a ripped CD - or close enough to make it not worth owning (done lots of A/B comparisons - even blind . I have not bought a CD since I subscribed to Tidal. Waiting for Qobuz to hit the US and for it to be integrated into Roon!!

As for MQA, try a blind compare and see how well you do. Different? Maybe. Better? Not to these ears.

1 Like

Chuck, if your daughter wants to make it as a singer she will need to get gigs and at those gigs, needs something to sell to make up her money. CDs have a huge role here for the acts that we book. You can only sell so many T shits, Key rings, Beanie hats etc.

In my experience, people want a good show, the chance to meet the artist and a CD to take home that is representative of the artist they have just enjoyed and met.

CDs sell well on the live circuit and many music fans (and I mean real fans who put me to shame by the amount of gigs they go to) do not have a stick of Hi Fi but a car full of CDs

3 Likes

CDs are great to make that gig impression last. My friend is in a start up, though not main source of income, band and had these made up. Surprising how many friends and family buy too, include muggins here.

Am looking forward to making this First World problem more complicated when Qobuz integration is activated.

Surprised but pleased to see your friend’s work on Tidal.

Tim

Cd’s or records :wink: