Can’t find core

Updated firmware to build 1143 (if memory serves it was 1143, can’t look at it now)
After the update remote’s can’t find the core. I’ve reset and restarted everything.

@Freehand, I have moved your post to the #support category.

If you require assistance, please complete the following template. Thanks.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Roon Core Nucleus +
Network AT&T modem/router
Connected Devices 2 Topping DACs via USB and Marantz AVP via hdmi
Tracks over200k

Updated firmware last night. (If memory serves it was build 1143. Can’t look at it now) Remote Core can’t be found by any of my remote devices.(iPhone,iPad,Mac mini)

Hey @Freehand,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, it looks like you’ve since posting, you’ve been able to connect your devices to your core. Is this the case?

Certainly, let me know if you’re still having issues, and if so, please share any error messages you’re getting when the connection fails :+1:

Yes. I was getting ready to ship my Nucleus + for repair. After disconnecting the 2 usb cables and 1 hdmi cable that were attached, I was able to connect. I had the same issue with connecting twice since then. A normal reboot will not fix the problem, but if the usb and hdmi cables are removed, it boots fine and I can connect.

Hey @Freehand,

Thanks for the update. If possible, please take note of the date and time the next time this happens, and share it here.

Beyond this, can you please try testing another USB and HDMI cord to see if your issue persists?

Lastly, what specifically is getting disconnected? All devices attached to your Nucleus?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Just happened in the last hour.
All remotes can not connect to the core when this happens.
No hdmi cable attached this time, just the 2 usb cables.

Hey @Freehand,

As a next step, lets take a look at performing a fresh OS install on your Nucleus.

Let’s try this:

  • Create a fresh backup

  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI

  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location

  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”

  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”

  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database

  • Reinstall Roon Os from the WebUI

  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

  • If everything starts up as expected Restore your Backup prior to the issue starting

Let me know if your issue persists after the above :+1:

Was out of town when these instructions were sent. When I got home, there was an update available (1169). Completed that update and haven’t had a problem since.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.