Can the "Update Available" message be disabled?

Roon only supports one version at a time. They do their best to correct any known problems with updates. If 100,000 customers refused to accept updates, Roon Support would be inundated with requests for help. You need to do the update and move on.

2 Likes

No kidding, ya think? Well, 40 minutes later and the restore is at 60% - usually doesn’t take this long. No idea what’s going on - a few months back got new RAM and SSD and migrated the NUC to an Akasa case hoping this would help - I think it went normal for one update and the the last two have been back to this routine. Something’s not sticking in the DB (DNS settings?) so the remotes won’t find it after an update. Works just fine otherwise.

Have support been any help here? Surely they can check your logs and see what is happening

Yeah, I need to do that. I should probably set it up though so that I contact them right before I update. It was suggested before it might be a hardware issue, but unless it’s the motherboard of the NUC I ruled out RAM and SSD by switching those out.

1 Like

You might want to post this as a feature request and reach out to one of the Devs. I remember the Catalina upgrade was a real mess for Roon Apple users.

2 Likes

I have a MAC Mini with the latest Catalina as a Roon Server and never a problem…

3 Likes

I use an iMac desktop as my Roon Core. Just upgraded the OS to Big Sur. Everything working thus far.

1 Like

It’s impractical if not nearly impossible for a consumer cloud based product (and roon doesn’t work without its cloud services) to keep the product working properly if users don’t update. This is especially true for a company that has a small development team. Even a company like google with as many resources as they have forces you to update to new versions of chrome, apps etc. And even if you avoid updating your front end to Roon, they are constantly evolving their cloud services behind the scenes so over time you are not even running on the same version even if you are avoiding updating the front end. Roon is not like running a copy of windows or office that you can stay on the same version for years and years… Given there is no way around this you either have to accept it or move on…

1 Like

My MAC Mini is a late 2012 and Apple will no longer update the OS. My Roon Core is on a iMac…also 2012. Monday I will be getting my M1 MAC Mini that will replace my iMac, so it’s great to read that Roon still flourishes on the M1 SoC chip!! ! !

2 Likes

Never once had to do that in nearly 4 years.

Right, let me understand this. Once per day you see a little blue window prompting you to do something that everyone on this platform advises you to do because it makes good sense and is painless and free. To get rid of the blue box, you have to click a little cross. Once per day. And this is a problem for you? Get a life, my friend… there are people dying out there.

1 Like

What actually happens is that people have a problem that coincides with an update and naturally attribute the problem to the update - it ain’t necessarily so!

I keep all my software up to date - Windows, Apple, Android, BLUOS and Roon - amongst the more well known to this forum. The one that still causes occasional problems is Windows.

2 Likes

So while I did update Roon when I first saw this I understand your thought process completely. I’m a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” type of guy as well and unfortunate you’re getting a lot of “just do it” lol. I frequently don’t install updates on software, operating systems, etc unless it appeals to me so there certainly are types updates can do more harm then good…

…so to answer did you try clicking “view details” and then exit to get out of it? I imagine you’ll unfortunately have to do this every time unless there’s an option to disable alerts which I’m sure is what you’re asking about…

Ditto. Faultless. Never had a problem.

1 Like

Well I updated mine now I have issues.

It’s certainly possible to run multiple versions of the back-end simultaneously, it’s not even hard. It does require a little forethought. We used to call this “phase in.” Run the old version of the back-end till the users have confirmed there’s no glitches in the new version.

Update the software would be my recommendation. Knock on wood …as my roon setup has no issues … but I still update regardless.

1 Like

I think Roon is best to determine when an update fixes something that needs fixing even if you think nothing is broken.

Roon also makes changes in the cloud side of things and that interface needs to be in sync with the users server/core system so updates are essentially fixing something that possibly has an external component that needs to be in sync so not updating is more likely to break things in this regard.

1 Like

It is hard if you aren’t skilled and set up for it though.

Just do the upgrade

1 Like