Can there be an option for a 2nd 'satellite' core?

I have a separate 5.1 setup in a room which is connected to the LAN using an extender through the electrical wiring. (I’ve thought how I could get an ethernet cable to there but it’s just not possible). Though it works it’s too slow to play all but the smallest lossy files via Roon. I also use JRiver which has no problem allowing me to install a separate instance on a laptop in the 5.1 room feeding off a NAS drive in the room which has a sync’d copy of my collection.
Roon will not allow a 2nd core (without the purchase of another license I think).
As a lifetime subscriber it would be nice to use Roon on my 5.1 setup. Ideally I’d like the option to install a satellite in there (either on the laptop or on a NUC) so I could access the local NAS individually.
Thoughts appreciated.

You can authorize a second Roon core but you have to deauthorize your other core in the process. The other option is to purchase a second subscription, but do it before 1/1/23 when the price goes up.

I would try to figure out how to play to your second system as a zone from your current Roon core.

1 Like

Maybe try using ARC

1 Like

@Graham_Getty, instead of a powerline extender which tend to provide very slow connection speeds, have you thought about one of the newer mesh WiFi solutions? I am getting 600+ Mbps with my mesh system throughout my home because I also cannot run Ethernet in my home, but it may provide a cost-effective alternative for you.

2 Likes

Hmm. Sounds like you want an endpoint. And your network isn’t up to supporting an endpoint. It’s unsympathetic of me, but I think the answer many of us have come to is “if I want Roon, my network has to be the thing that flexes”. I’ve run ethernet cables through doorways and under rugs until I was ready to invest in in-wall. Others here have done crazier things. That’s my 2 cents, I know it’s not what you want to hear. Also like the ARC idea, though still you either need to download content or have the network support it.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the comments. I suppose I’m trying to make the most of the kit I already have in there (ie laptop) which will quite happily send multichannel FLAC and DSD to my AV amp over HDMI. My AV amp can decode DSD but is not network connectable. Making the room an endpoint would mean beefing up the connection and purchasing an endpoint with HDMI that could output DSD (not cheap).
I realise what I’m asking goes against the single core design philosophy. Maybe what I’m asking is the ability to have discrete music collections (JRiver calls them libraries) which would allow me to choose the files on the local NAS separately. Then the music files themselves would not be dragged over the slow link but there would still be only one core.

1 Like

Another idea, my Roon Core is on a Mac mini so I woud just take that with me, not pocket size but still. If all you need is internet for roon and the files are on the nas might work. Not so elegant but not so expensive :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this is the, cough cough, core of it,

After years of having a dual core approach to having two homes, I’m now trying to pursue a site-to-site VPN so I can have a single core serving two locations 100+ miles apart. That’s crazy on the face of it. But it’s worth it if I can get decent service in the name of not having two libraries, two play counts etc. I can’t imagine the hassle of having two cores in one home.

2 Likes

Two cores would be a hassle I agree. The more I think of it, I’m asking for the ability to define discrete libraries within one core and swap between them. This would help anyone who has a significant local collection, especially for large files eg HiRes FLAC/DSD/multichannel, and wishes to operate them in separate locations within the same house or even in different houses.

1 Like

Read Brian’s response on this thread I started on the “multiple cores a pain for ARC” - I think similarly they are not going to support what you’re asking for, because the juice is not worth the squeeze for them in terms of complexity vs opportunity. You’re welcome to put in a feature request, but based on years of hanging string these forums I don’t think you’re going to get enough takers to make this useful - there are other products that have what you’re looking for, and yes, they lack some of Roon’s features, but the overlap in demand is not huge. Of course I don’t have the marketing data, but that’s what I would strongly guess.

1 Like

Yes JRiver Media Center does exactly what I need and is what I use with the 5.1 setup.

Just to put this one to bed, I purchased a new powerline network adapter. That has increased the connection speed noticeably and I can now play full fat 5.1 no problems from the core on the other side of the house.

1 Like