Can we talk about the whole Overview/Discography thing?

I’m really not sure where to ask/post this, but there seems to be massive confusion with any classical artists who are both performers AND composers. Unless I’m missing something the default is COMPOSER, and I can’t find a way to switch the focus to performers. Andre Previn, Leonard Bernstein, and even some performers MUCH better known as performers like Jean Casadesus…all I’m getting is their composer entries in the stuff in my library…where’s the old toggle between composer and performer?? If I search one of these artists I get “top results” listening that artist as a composer and no alternative.

Edit: I see this HAS been addressed…is it better for me to delete this post? Sorry about that

It’s been raised somewhere else in the Forum - it is a bug, I think, and I believe it’s been flagged with the Roon team.

Oh, I see…thanks…I’ve tried to sort though threads but there are so many!

here you go…

Yup. Same as @CrystalGipsy – it always plays the users primary version – exactly as it should.

Hmm… After going through all this in detail again in 1.8 in my system, I think all this is working properly:

• If you are in Overview it is only showing you albums which are in your local library. So it doesn’t display the redundant Local Library Symbol but does display the Tidal or Qobuz symbol for albums which were added to your library from those services.

• If you are in Discography, since the albums obviously include albums not in your library at all, they display the Local Library symbol for ANY album you have in your local library – both ones where you own the album and ones that you added to your library from Tidal or Qobuz.

• If you are in Discography, any album that does not have the Local Library symbol is not owned or added to your library from Tidal or Qobuz.

• If you press play from anywhere it will always play your primary album.

This all makes sense to me, once you figure out exactly what they are doing and get used to it. They of course could make different design choices – I suppose they could invent a couple of more symbols including ones for a Qobuz and Tidal album added to your library and one for albums you own (excluding added Tidal or Qobuz albums) and then put the exact unique symbol on every album both in overview and discography even if they are redundant. That would probably eliminate any confusion but you’d start to have symbol soup on your albums…

2 Likes

Something I just noticed in album view not noticed before is the slider control changes with your sort order. If by date it uses years to fast scoll, name obviously letters, I like this and something I didnt initially spot.

1 Like

NEVER MIND — ALREADY COVERED

One clarification (forgive me if this has been brought up, I got impatient and didn’t read the whole thread).
“Library” does not mean “local files”.
You can add a Tidal or Qobuz album to your library, there is a button for that.
Means the album shows up when you browse your albums, no different from the local files.
So it is not weird or a bug that a Library listing includes Tidal and Qobuz.
But there is a flaw, and at least one apparent bug.
The flaw: there is not a convenient way to see albums not in my library, which might be albums of the artist that I have missed. Important if I’m a completist collector. (In the past, these albums were grouped apart and shown over a white or black background.) Of course it is possible to identify on an individual album if it’s in my library, and where it comes from. The problem is with search: Springsteen has 188 albums on tidal, if I have 175 in my library, which are the 13 I have missed? It’s not that those are unavailable, I can still play them, in library or not, but I may not have noticed them. More for the OCD collector than a relaxed listener. Personally, I am more and more aligning with the streaming world and I care less about “my” stuff.

The bug: in some cases, documented in a separate thread, the math appears to be wrong. The number of albums I have, in various combinations of filters, don’t seem to align.

The bug:

1 Like

Overview > More from my library

While logged into Tidal this tab seems botched. For some artists I have a lot of singles, EPs, compilation tracks, etc. There doesn’t appear to be a way to see all of these items on the overview screen and the ones I can are not sorted by date. Also, you have to scroll these items diagonally and only one row is available.

If you log out of Tidal, the discography tab is removed, but the overview screen shows the entirety of your library for that artist including singles and appearances on comps. They can also be viewed vertically with more than one row.

The appearance of the overview tab should be consistent whether logged into a streaming service or not.

So I think the difference for me in the Nick Cave example is all my Qobuz versions are the only thing in the library. There’s no local rip too.

Yep agreed. I speculated that too.

But this isn’t happening here. Let me pick out a single album as an example as a case in point.

Take No More Shall We Part. It’s in my library (you can see it in the overview screen). It’s a Qobuz only version (important in a minute).

Now over to Discography

Here, it’s also in Discography, with the Qobuz symbol ONLY.
I have no visual way of knowing (without flicking back and forth) whether I have this in my library.
Moreover, there is NO Focus/Filter that would tell me either. Contrast the album next to it (a local version exists), where I get the library icon.

Ergo…

Not so.
Try it yourself where you have only a Qobuz version of a title in your library.

Yeah Anders, I really don’t mean to sound patronising, but please read the thread before posting.

Scott, if you don’t have any local versions of these but they are in the library, why are 2 of them showing with the library badge, but one isn’t?

OK, this is absolutely wild.

Check out Merriweather Post Pavillion and Tangerine Reef
:- Both in the library
:- Both are Qobuz-only versions.

Now to the Discography

Merriweather Post Pavillion has no Library Icon
Tangerine Reef has a Library icon!

1 Like

I have. It has worked every time for me so far. Everything in my post I have tried a bunch of times with lots of different artists… Maybe I’m just lucky…

I’ll spin up a support thread on this. This might well be down to issues with my instance if you’re not seeing it at all.

I didn’t have any Lianne La Havas albums that @grossmsj posted, so I added them all to library, checked the discography and they all have library icon :woozy_face: (note on Scott’s picture one of them doesn’t).

Has something gone awry with the database update in some cases, I wonder?

Would be good to sort out…

OK I think I may have resolved this.

I asked Roon to re-identify all my Nick Cave albums and the library icon has now appeared against the relevant albums in the Discography. Thanks for your assistance in helping me troubleshoot this, it was driving me crazy.

I’d still like library switcher toggle in the Discography to be a tri-switch so it shows all, library only and no library. If there’s not already a feature request I’ll go and make one.

Need to sort out Animal Collective now. Phew.

1 Like

I would as all mine are fine. Qobuz only in library show up as in Library. All other instances the same. What I have found though is a bunch of compilations I have added since 1.8 came out did not add the performing artists so just tracks and all saying various artists. I found if I went and edited one track as I was going to add them myself when I decided to press re-identify track instead it then found the artists for all tracks. I had to do this then to all 6 albums I had added as none added artist names. So their is something wrong with the way its pulling metadata in this version in some circumstances.

1 Like

I just replied and found issues with artist names not showing up on albums I had added. So metadata issues are not just you by the looks of it. I wonder if this is a result of the server meltdown?

Goof to see another AC fan too.

I just did the same thing with the Merriweather album and it fixed that too. I wondered if Nick Cave was a special case because it has two primary artists - Nick Cave and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

But I couldn’t see anything unusual at all with the Animal Collective album. If I discover more, at least I have a method of fixing it now.