Cannot configure roon server for ARC

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini late 2014
8gb Ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Speedport Plus router connected with Tp link Deco Mesh

1. Who is your internet service provider?

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Connected Audio Devices

Naim Uniti Atom

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Roon Arc don’t work when I am outside of my network.

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“94.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.68.1”,“found_natpmp”:true},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Hi @zorrillo,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue. There are a few possible common causes of this issue.

1. If you have a firewall active make sure Roon is allowed through.
  2. If your ISP uses CGNAT that can also cause this issue. If that’s the case request a static IP address from your ISP.

Let me know if either of these solves your issue.

Unfortunately my ISP provider asks for a static ip address 60€ every month.
I hope i can find a different solution.

If it makes a difference to your ISP‘s pricing, it doesn’t necessarily have to be static. It can also by dynamic, as long as it’s a real IPv4 (not CG-NAT) that can be port forwarded

Do i have to port forward in the main router or in the mesh network that my devices are connected by ethernet?

Fundamentally, you need to forward the port all the way from the external internet interface to the Roon server.

If you have a main router that is this external internet interface and is actually configured as a router, then you need a port forwarding rule on this router, which forwards to the mesh router, and another rule on the mesh router, which forwards onward to the Roon server.

Many routers can be switched to „bridge mode“, meaning that they simply pass on all traffic, without actually doing any routing. In this case, you can switch the internet-facing „main“ router to bridge mode. As it will then pass on all traffic to the mesh router, you don’t need a port forwarding rule on this „main“ router. Create a rule on the mesh router, so that it forwards the Roon port number to the Roon server

This makes sense,i hope it’s gonna work.Thank you for your advice!

1 Like

Asked about network devices then saw you actually posted them above…

I think it should be possible to do port forwarding in double NAT environment too.

Speedport Plus: forward port to TP Link Deco
TP Link Deco: forward port to Mac Mini

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.