Cannot Connect to Nucleus+ server

@support will have to do it, hopefully soon.
Since this has been going on since November 3rd, @noris

Hey @Greg_Johnson,

Following up on the screenshot of the webUI you shared, is the bottom networking portion of the screen blank? If yes, it could be a sign of a failing SSD.

Please let me know what the full webUI screen looks like, thank you :pray:

Benjamin;

Here is the bottom portion of the

screenshot.

Hey @Greg_Johnson,

Thanks for your continued patience here! We believe the root cause of your issue was hiding in plain site the whole time:

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.34.38 PM

Your database is completely out of space! As a next step, you could SMB into it to see what’s taking up so much space, since your library is decent in size, but shouldn’t take up the entire database. There might be something else at play hogging space.

Before doing anything, I would first confirm you have a recent backup saved.
Lastly, if you do have a recent backup, you could upgrade your SSD to something bigger than 55GB :+1:

1 Like

Benjamin;

I’m afraid that many in my generation, including myself, have not been schooled in modern computer and internet nomenclature, as you obviously have, so please have patience with me when I ask you some questions.

First of all I had to look up “SMB”. I believe that this stands for “Server Message Protocol”. So how do I SMB into my database to see what’s taking up so much space and what does that mean?

Secondly how do I back up my Roon data base if I can’t connect to Roon? I have been doing backups of my data base to a portable USB connected hard drive. Attached is a scre
Screenshot 2022-12-13 204154
enshot of the last backup done on November 2, 2022

Finally I have no problem upgrading the SSD that came with my Nucleus+ to bigger than 55 GB. What would you suggest?

Greg

Hey @Greg_Johnson,

Here are a few resources to help :

Perfect! As long as you have a recent backup, you are good to go to have something to restore your database to once you’re ready to do that.

In regards to SSD suggestions, Samsung Evos are pretty popular and stable, although we do always suggest to do your own research too :+1:

Let me know your findings and if you have any additional questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Benjamin;

I followed the instructions from the Roon Labs Help Center, entitled “Accessing Roon OS’s Data Directory” that you pointed me to. Attached is a screenshot of what was in my Nucleus+'s database. I noticed two items that should not have been there, namely “Angel Forest” which contained one song and 'music" which contained many songs, so I deleted them. These items should have been in the Samsung 8TB SSD that I had previously installed in my Nucleus+ server to store music files. So obviously I had made a mistake & transferred these songs to the wrong SSD on the Nucleus+.

After I deleted those songs, I typed the IP address for my Nucleus+ server into Windows 11 Explorer and it then showed that 86% of 55GB was available on the SSD that was originally installed by Roon in the Nucleus+ . Previously it showed that 0% was available. I then tried to do a reset of the data base but an error message came up "Settings and databases could not be reset. Please try again, or contact support {“status”: Failure, exit code:5}

I then restarted my DELL XPS desktop computer & then clicked on the Roon icon. A message came up “The new version of Roon you installed requires a database update. This improves performance but can take a while. Please be patient”. After about 50 minutes of trying Roon is still trying to update the database.

What now?

Roon OS Data directory Dec 15 2022

Benjamin;

Finally Success in being able to connect to Roon. I left Roon on all night long trying to update the database. It must have updated the data base during the night. This morning I was able to connect to Roon.

The lesson learned: The SSD that came with my Nucleus+ server cannot be full of data because at least with respect to my music system, it caused or may have caused the following home network connectivity problems:

1. Roon was unable to connect. In most instances a message appeared stating that there was an internet connection problem when in fact there appeared to be no such problem because I was able to connect to the internet with various browsers.

2. Each of my two desktop computers on my home network, at different times, either saw my Nucleus+ in Windows 10 & 11 under the Network portion of Windows Explorer or did not see it at all. The same applied to the other devices (or clients) on my home. Sometimes they were seen and sometimes they were not seen. This morning Windows11 Explorer is still not seeing my Nucleus+ server under Network. Yet my ASUS GT-AX11000 router always saw all of the devices on my home network. Does anyone in the Roon community have any comments on why this strange thing that is happening with Windows?

As previously noted, when I tried to do a reset of the data base an error message came up "Settings and databases could not be reset. Please try again, or contact support {“status”: Failure, exit code:5}. Is this of any consequence?

Any other comments that you may have would be appreciated.

Thank you and all of the other Roon Community for your diligence & patience in dealing with me to solve this problem of Roon not being able to connect.

1 Like

Glad to hear Greg that things are finally back to normal!
Enjoy your music over the holidays!

A post was split to a new topic: Help with consolidating files onto the SSD in my Nucleus+ server

Hey @Greg_Johnson,

I’m glad to hear you’re able to connect! Following up on this thread,

If Roon tried to write something to the database when it was already full, the database might not be stable since it ran out of space. If you’d like, just to be extra safe, we can refresh the database and restore from a recent backup. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.