Cannot Connect to Nucleus

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus. Formerly Mac OS 10.14.3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Arris Router, provided by IP.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant

Description Of Issue

Roon user since December 2017, on Apple Mac OS 10.14.3. Recently purchased a Nucleus, got it set up and enjoyed it immensely, using an iPad Pro as the remote.

The other day I tried to change the ethernet connection from my internet provider’s router to an ORBI mesh network I set up. I couldn’t make that work, even going to the Nucleus Admin page, so I plugged the Nucleus, via ethernet, back into the router provided by the IP, where it was before.

Now I can no longer connect to Nucleus. It just isn’t recognized anywhere, neither the iPad nor the Mac desktop.

– I’ve tried typing the router’s IP address into the Help box, but that accomplishes nothing.
– I can easily make my Mac the Roon Core again, it’s recognized promptly by the software. If I ignore the Nucleus and use the Mac, everything plays normally.
– The Nucleus is powered on, I’ve rebooted everything, unplugged/plugged/verified all connections, etc., etc., but I can’t get the formerly wonderful Nucleus device to be recognized by the Roon software.
– Every device is on the same network.

Please help.

Hi @Carey_Smith,

Are you only using the Arris router currently, or a mix of the Arris router and the Orbi router? How are your remote devices connected?

Are you able to access the Nucleus Web Administration Interface?

Dylan,
Yes, only using the Arris router.
When I click on the blue Configure button for "Configure Roon OS devices, it just sits Searching for devices with no result, even though the Nucleus is plugged in to the Arris router via ethernet. The cable connections are not the problem.

I can control the Roon Core from my desktop, no problem. The Nucleus is not involved in that case. My only remote connection is the iPad, via wi-fi to the Arris router. In neither case is the Nucleus recognized, even after re-booting, etc.

I have the feeling that I’m missing something painfully obvious, but I don’t know what it is.

Sorry if you’ve already been through this…
Have you tried using your iPad remote to go to Settings>General

At this screen disconnect your Core on the Mac desktop.
End the Roon session on the iPad (maybe even restart the iPad).
Then restart Roon on the iPad. It should search for the new core, and hopefully find the Nucleus as one option?

Hi, yes, I have tried those steps. Just tried it again as a sanity check, which was helpful, because it reminded me that I forgot to mention a detail in my previous description: the Nucleus will appear temporarily (for a few seconds) on the screen “Choose your Roon Core,” then a red box appears, “Connection Failed,” and the Nucleus, as an option to select, disappears off the screen, leaving only “This Mac” as an option. Again, both are connected to the same router on the network.

When the Nucleus appears as an option, its IP address is listed, and I’ve tried typing that specific IP address into the box on the Help screen, but it still does not connect when I click on the Scan button. The Roon logo does a tap dance with no result.

I mentioned before that the problem started when I wanted to move the Nucleus to the ORBI mesh network. On the Admin screen I cleared the IP address, SubNet Mask and other details to replace them with the specific details for the ORBI. The change failed to result in a connection, so I re-booted everything to start over, and I haven’t been able to connect to the Nucleus since then.

No doubt it’s a user-error problem, but I can’t figure out how to fix it.

If you can get in the Nucleus web UI, change network back to dhcp I imagine this is your issue, you really should never need to change these settings at all and should be left as DHCP. Whatever router your using should be assigning IP addresses. If you want a fixed then it use DHCP reservation instead of manually changing the network details.

I solved the problem by re-booting the router. I had tried that before, but I think maybe I was impatient the first time and didn’t wait long enough for the re-boot process to complete.

The Nucleus is now recognized on the network by the Core and the remote.

For what it’s worth, going back to playing music through the Mac for the last day or two was a noticeable step down in quality from the experience of the Nucleus. Love the sound of this device.

Cheers

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.