Cannot Get Arc To Work On My Network

Roon Core Machine

2012 Mac Mini Server - macOS Catalina - 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Dual SSD HD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Connected via WiFi (5Ghz)
  1. Who is your internet service provider?
    AT&T Fiber (1GBPS Up/Down)

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Ubiquiti Dream Machine v1.12.30

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    2 Ubiquiti USW-Flex-Mini v1.86

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

Connected to Emotive BasX PT-100 Processor via USB

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Cannot get ARC to work even after adding port forwarding. Here is the error message I’m receiving:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“76.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Hi @Ramiro_Orta,

When I look at your error message I see UPnP is disabled on your router and there is no manual port forwarding rule created.

I would suggest to create a manual port forwarding rule.

First in the Roon app under settings —> Roon Arc write down the ip address and port number.

Follow below video and use the numbers you wrote down.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Maarten

2 Likes

I created the Port Forwarding rule on my UniFi Network, but I still get the error ‘Not Ready’. Attached is a screenshot of the rule and the Roon ARC window. I don’t see how it cannot work. I have Plex for my video and I have port forwarding set up for it and it works all over the US and internationally. Any help with anyone who owns a UniFi Dream Machine will be appreciated.

Hi @Ramiro_Orta,

Sorry to hear it isn’t working (yet). I’m out of suggestions, so i hope another community member have some ideas and hopefully @support can help you.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Hard to say because we can’t see the important info about the port number and your internal IP address. Are they the same in the rule and the ARC settings?

By the way, it’s no problem showing them publicly. Local IP addresses are never forwarded on the internet, and we can’t see your external IP address. It’s like telling us that you keep the money in the third drawer from the top if we don’t know what city or street you live in

1 Like

Hi @Ramiro_Orta,

One thing to clarify. Is your Roon core on wifi? Your support template implies it might be so I wanted to verify.

It’s my understanding that ATT routers cannot be put into bridge mode. If that is the case, you would need to set up a forwarding rule on the ATT device to forward to your router and the router set up to forward to your Roon core.

Does that make sense?

Also, @Suedkiez is correct. We need to be able to see your internal IP and port to know whether or not something is set up correctly.

Thanks,
Wes

Sorry about that, I’m used to keeping IPs and such not easily shown. Anyway, yes the Port Number and Internal IP are set correctly as per basic instructions from Room and from the video that Maarten shared.

My Roon core is on WIFI and I do have AT&T fiber, so I didn’t know that about their Modem/Routers. So I haven’t set a forwarding rule on the AT&T Modem/Router. I will give that a shot.
What if I was able to connect the Roon core directly via ethernet? Would I be able to skip creating a forwarding rule on the AT&T device?

No, because the traffic needs to be forwarded from the internet via your ATT device and then the router before it even reaches your LAN with the Ethernet (which starts on the router side where you plug in your local network devices)

Okay. Thanks. I’ll go ahead and log into my AT&T Modem and create a forward to my UniFi Dream Machine and give it a shot. Thanks!

Hi @Ramiro_Orta,

You should do everything you can to build any changes you make around a wired core. We advise that cores should be wired in all cases and I’d like to save you future trouble!

Thanks,
Wes

Thank you, I will set up a wired connection.

Thanks everyone with all your help. I’m still having some issues. I went into the AT&T fiber modem/router and stopped the firewall into the UniFi Dream Machine (pict#1 shows the setting in AT&T Modem). As per AT&T instructions, I set the Dream Machine in the DMZ plus mode. This is supposed to allow all connections to the Dream Machine and allow me to engage the port forwarding rule. But, I’m still getting the error on Roon ARC setting (pict#2). I have the port forwarding rule as I was supposed to (pict#3). Any other help will be appreciated. I’m getting pretty frustrated and ready to give up on ARC.

Hi @Ramiro_Orta,

Don’t give up yet! It looks like your Dream Machine is set up perfectly. It’s just a matter of getting the ATT modem forwarding properly.

Do you know what the specific model of the ATT modem you have? This tutorial I found has steps for their models:

Wes

Thank you Wes, that did the trick! As you can see below, Roon ARC is now showing as working. I can’t express my gratitude to all of you who helped out and gave their helpful advice.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.